starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bridge / Additional Programs Suggested by Ssc's

Default The Bridge / Additional Programs Suggested by Ssc's

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, just for reference, I'm the rib guy (St. Louis). I had a slew of questions I wanted to engage with you on given the opportunity, but ended up getting side tracked and didn't have the chance to ask.

One of those questions was to get your genuine take on the intermediate programs being suggested by other SSC's. I'm sure The Bridge and others discussed at length by Andy Baker serve a purpose, it seems far off track (rpe, pause dl, etc), from the basic intermediate programming you and Andy discussed at length in PP.

I realize you mostly defer to others to discuss the intricacies of programming, but really wanted to get your take on these modifications to intermediate programming from PP that are currently being presented.

Btw, the best advice I've ever read on these forums was to go back to page 1 of your q and a and read each post until the present. I did this even after reading the MOMG book. Pure comedic gold, and learned a thing or two as well!

I think no one is immune from gilding the lily. Complexity has its appeal, and while there is a place for nuance, it's generally overvalued at the end of the novice progression. As I have explained many times -- and been ignored just as many times -- I think that most mature trainees should move to the 4-day split routine after the novice progression peters out with a couple of resets.

In retrospect, best ribs I've ever had. No shit.

Thanks for the quick reply and the compliment on ribs. Looking forward to actually attending a seminar in the future!

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

name and location of the ribs place, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think no one is immune from gilding the lily. Complexity has its appeal, and while there is a place for nuance, it's generally overvalued at the end of the novice progression.
    Amen. I have found I am often on the outside of the cool people because I maintain staunchly that you can get pretty damn far in strength training with a pretty damn simple approach.

I have probably trained almost as many novices in person as any other SSC's over the last five years and would say that the four-day split is the way to go for a next step for almost anyone serious about making progress. In the reality of the gym business you quickly start to realize that most people lack the interest and/or the ability to work hard enough consistently over long periods of time to make real progress, so pretty good becomes the better programming option than really good. In these cases, I will often set up a HLM spread that helps account for these folks inability to fully commit to training and it is better than any other BS fitness gimmick they could be doing, but when I get the rare glare of hope from an individual that has been working with me for a long time and has proven that they are serious about making real progress I write them a detailed 4-day split, like spelled out in PP by Rip and Andy, customized with whatever accessory work I feel they need to reach the goals they told me they have. It works better than any other program I have tried.

I can't conceive of switching back to a 3-day programme and I'm a young whippersnapper at 24. Switched to the 4-day TM thinking that working on weekends would slay me on a 3-day programme and barely missed reps, save for bad judgement on my part. Getting to press and bench twice a week is great and I can't see how the 3-day programme could allow for the same level of progression without wanting to die after 2-3 hour workouts near the end of the cycle, where the workouts are hard enough to finish as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kurisko View Post
    I have probably trained almost as many novices in person as any other SSC's over the last five years and would say that the four-day split is the way to go for a next step for almost anyone serious about making progress. In the reality of the gym business you quickly start to realize that most people lack the interest and/or the ability to work hard enough consistently over long periods of time to make real progress, so pretty good becomes the better programming option than really good. In these cases, I will often set up a HLM spread that helps account for these folks inability to fully commit to training and it is better than any other BS fitness gimmick they could be doing, but when I get the rare glare of hope from an individual that has been working with me for a long time and has proven that they are serious about making real progress I write them a detailed 4-day split, like spelled out in PP by Rip and Andy, customized with whatever accessory work I feel they need to reach the goals they told me they have. It works better than any other program I have tried.
    Some great points here.

The other advantage of the 4 day split is you can play around with the assistance exercises to keep your client excited and motivated to train, while still ensuring progress on the key lifts. This is much harder to do with other approaches. It's amazing what a few sets of curls in a program will do to some people's attendance records!

The 4 day split is also easier than the LP, faster, and funner.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kurisko View Post
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast