Thread: Platform Video: The Barbell Row

Default Platform Video: The Barbell Row

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Thanks, very enlightening.

Inevitable stupid jokes:

- Can I do Power Cleans instead?

- Next: The Barbell Curl with Mark Rippetoe.

- What if I don't have bumper plates?

If trying to decelerate the weight on the eccentric, why is the potential for bicep tendon injury different between the row and the chin up? Is it only because rows use more weight, since the knees and hips help start it off the floor?
    (May be a double post, fuck hotel wifi).

Quote Originally Posted by obelix View Post
    Is it only because rows use more weight, since the knees and hips help start it off the floor?
    It is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is.
    Thank you gentlemen. This will change my practice.

It appears that the range of motion required for you to touch your belly with the bar, compared to that of Coach Sims, is considerably less, although I could be wrong, since as you say it is hard to tell.

That's an excellent observation, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by obelix View Post
    If trying to decelerate the weight on the eccentric, why is the potential for bicep tendon injury different between the row and the chin up? Is it only because rows use more weight, since the knees and hips help start it off the floor?
    (May be a double post, fuck hotel wifi).
    I've never done rows with anything heavier than 100kg, and those didn't even touch my abs. So they were too heavy to row strict. But, I've recently done a lot weighted chins, and I got up to 50kgx2 at 90kg bw. So no, doing chins with a weight way heavier than rows hasn't damaged my arms. But the funny thing is, I previously tore my left bicep doing chins with the excact same 50kg, and it was because I started the chining motion with a violent hip extension ( kinda like a press ). So it was not the eccentric part that tore my arm, but an uncontrolled concentric from a dead stop.

Mark,

We have always done these VERY strict, which seems to severely limit the weight. We may vertically raise the shoulders just a hair, where as you guys have a much larger amount of vertical displacement of the shoulders.

What I am getting at is, what is the primary difference in doing these supremely strict (and limiting the weight) in terms of keeping the shoulders at a fixed location, and allowing for some significant displacement? I realize heavier weights can be used, but I'm getting at effectiveness of the exercise, and what the difference in development may be. It's almost like the version you've demonstrated is a "power row" compared to what we've done in the past.

Seems like there is a lot of variation in how one can do these. Prone/supine, super strict vs. not-so-strict, "power" versus slower. Seems like your approach allows the heaviest weight used within reason of form. I'm hoping you can provide further insight on what version/combination you may choose depending on what you want to accomplish with the exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    The criteria for any effective major exercise is:

1. The most muscle mass is used

2. over the longest effective ROM

3. so that the heaviest weights can be used

4. to get stronger.

This is in the book, as is the barbell row.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast