starting strength gym

Thread: Platform: The Press and the "Get Under It!" Cue

Default Platform: The Press and the "Get Under It!" Cue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I appreciate this. I know I've bailed reps because it was stuck at the forehead and I focused all my effort on trying to get under it anyway, and when that effort failed (now I know why) I figured the rep was over.

Red face Right on

Many will use a “Get under it!” cue at this moment, but it is not entirely helpful here with the bar in limbo at the sticking point.
    I've been that guy. Thanks for suggesting more-useful cues!

I'm one of those people who refused to listen to their Grandmother when she told me to "stand up straight", and now I'm an old guy with shoulder inflexibility. Meaning, when I lie flat on my back on the floor with my arms extended overhead, my hands are 3 to 4 inches off the floor. This makes the finish position and shrug problematic. Any recommendations on improving this?

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    I appreciate this. I know I've bailed reps because it was stuck at the forehead and I focused all my effort on trying to get under it anyway, and when that effort failed (now I know why) I figured the rep was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Conti-Vock View Post
    I've been that guy. Thanks for suggesting more-useful cues!
    Glad the article helped guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNedPepper View Post
    I'm one of those people who refused to listen to their Grandmother when she told me to "stand up straight", and now I'm an old guy with shoulder inflexibility. Meaning, when I lie flat on my back on the floor with my arms extended overhead, my hands are 3 to 4 inches off the floor. This makes the finish position and shrug problematic. Any recommendations on improving this?
    Limited shoulder flexion isn't all that uncommon, I have a few clients with the same issue. The good news is it can be improved with some simple stretches as part of your press warmup. Simply hanging from a pull up bar will help increase flexion in the shoulder if you're really limited. Another good one that I have my clients use is to take a wooden closet rod or piece of pvc and while standing flush with the uprights at the front of the rack, slide the rod up the uprights while also pushing your chest forward. Shrug up hard at the top while driving the chest forward and hold that for several seconds. You should feel a good stretch in the shoulders and upper chest. Slide the rod back down the uprights to the rack position, and then back up to the top for several reps.

Great article. I have been stuck in that situation every once in a while.

Similar articles on how to cue when one's hips raise faster than the chest (happens often on the 5th rep of a heavy squat) and any specific deadlifting tips for those with shorter arms will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post

Similar articles on how to cue when one's hips raise faster than the chest (happens often on the 5th rep of a heavy squat) and any specific deadlifting tips for those with shorter arms will be helpful.
    Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon
    Learning to keep the upper back tight was a key for me for controlling the hips and back angle on the ascent of the squat. RE Deadlift with short arms - take a narrow stance and turn your toes out more, which will allow you to shove your knees out, and thereby will make the femur as "short" as possible. This will allow for the hips to be slightly lower without compromising the bar position over the middle of the foot.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hannon View Post
    Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon
    Learning to keep the upper back tight was a key for me for controlling the hips and back angle on the ascent of the squat. RE Deadlift with short arms - take a narrow stance and turn your toes out more, which will allow you to shove your knees out, and thereby will make the femur as "short" as possible. This will allow for the hips to be slightly lower without compromising the bar position over the middle of the foot.
    I already read the excellent article on correcting the thoracic spinal flexion and changed the way I set the squat. I'm guessing that sometimes the 5th rep on the last set can be just a matter of grind.

I figured that toes out helps with my deadlift but there's still some spinal flexion (mostly thoracic) in my heavy sets.