starting strength gym
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong enough for what?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    1. Should they? Does the athlete really profit from a 500lbs DL? More concise: Does he profit from trying to and finally reach that goal more than dedicating less ressources to that goal and say, have a 400lbs DL? This is an empirical question, you cant simply claim this is the case is "...because stronger is better...because stronger is better". That depends highly on the sport - in one sport, a 600lbs deadlift is worth training for, in another one, a 500lbs DL is not.
    Yes. 500lbs is a reasonable goal. Because it's really easy for a grown, young, athletic man to achieve. It represents no specialization in the strength sports.

The way you ask your questions suggests you have little experience. Rather than type up huge posts, why not try a lifting session?

You are using terms and concepts of which you don't seem to possess a first hand understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    This is the consistent issue with the arguments being made in this and the 'rugby thread'. Marenghi and others are of the opinion that a 500lb deadlift represents some extraordinary level of strength that requires significant dedication of resources over multiple years for professional athletes to achieve, despite the countless examples to the contrary. It just demonstrates the lack of relevant experience informing their opinions. Or, they are just trolling.
    Exactly. There's even a video on youtube of Rip pulling 500 lbs. Not to say anything bad about Rip but he's in his 60s. If a 60 year old man can deadlift 500 lbs, a 20 something exceptional athlete should be able to do it as well.

Damn I took this thread seriously and tried to respond seriously. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    If "stronger is better" fails in some cases, wouldn't you then have to conclude that, sometimes, "weaker is better"?

I can't imagine in what application this would be true.
    There isn't one.

Everyone wants to be as strong as humanly possible. The problem is we all want other things thing that make the practical possible much lower than the theoretical possible, but anyone who doesn't want to be stronger is utterly ignorant about what being stronger affords them or mentally ill.

There is literally no downside.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    I have a troll problem and need help. Is there a 12 step for that?
    Hi, dsm!

You only need about three steps, not including the one where you admit you have a problem.

Strong enough for what?

I believe I have said it before, but I will be "strong enough" when I can snap doorknobs off at will. I worked out for years and years and years and I never really saw a significant change in my strength. I'm 50. I'm not getting strong as fast as I'd like and I seem to have hit the end of my LP, but I am pretty sure there is still some strength left in the tank that wouldn't require me to give up my job or my family. IT is happening slower for me, but from time to time I achieve a breakthrough. I've resigned myself to the fact that my genetics and my age are stacked against me but I sure as hell don't think that means I can't get myself stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This may be the longest trolling post in the history of the Q&A. I don't hang around in E&P, do the trolls down there post this much text?
    Nope, we rarely use more than a sentence or two. I tuned out after the second grade so paragraphs are a real problem.

Coach Brodie might be the only EnPer who knows how to type.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    Nope, we rarely use more than a sentence or two. I tuned out after the second grade so paragraphs are a real problem.

Coach Brodie might be the only EnPer who knows how to type.
    Great...I've been outed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Hi, dsm!

You only need about three steps, not including the one where you admit you have a problem.

Strong enough for what?
    Way to leave a brother hanging.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by This Old Man View Post
    Don, here's what I can tell you. Some of this is from personal experience and some from the observation of others.

Three plates: Compared to people who do not lift, you are a tank. A black belt in judo will not be able to move you if you do not want to be moved.
    Wow, I'm a tank, granted in the eyes of uninitiated but I'll take that.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast