starting strength gym
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Weather

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It should stop people from buying them. This stops developers from building them.
    I suspect the insurance industry will be fine. So far as I know, homeowner insurance coverage excludes any water damage from flooding (even a burst pipe is not covered). If the wind tore off your roof and the rain caused damage, you MAY be covered. Flooding damage to automobiles is usually NOT covered. The translation of all this is that the home owner/vehicle owner bears the financial loss. That's a serious hurt for just about everyone. The one statistic I read recently is that 83% of the flood damage in Texas will not be covered by insurance.

Anyways, hope he sues their fucking asses in the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Anyways, hope he sues their fucking asses in the court.
    Good luck on that score. In the US he was an at-will employee who can be terminated for cause. Another thing about our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. The right to a job is in neither of them.

The Weather, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The Weather, okay?
    How's Houston now anyway? All I hear about it anymore is how Trump is doing a shit/fine job.

It's a giant mess. Maybe we'll get a report.

Areas around Barker and Addicks seem to be still flooded and will probably be under water for another week. Army Corps of Engineer, which manages the damn, was estimating it would take 3 months or so for the reservoir to go to zero (where they like keeping it). I don't know how is Conroe lake is. The rest of the city seems to be dry. Our watershed drained quickly and the bayou close to my house is back to what it was before all the rain.

The flood-induced homelessness is still a bit high and there is still a lot of clean-up work to do. I was volunteering in a supplies delivery spot and most people wanted brooms, bleach, Pine Sol and fans. Prices of gas went up $0,50, and some goods are a bit more expensive in the supermarket, but it's not terrible.

Someone in the thread asked about mandatory vs voluntary evacuations. It seems that they screwed up in the naming leading to some confusion. TX law forbids government from mandatory evacuating you from your house. The difference is that in a voluntary evacuation area there are resources available for you to leave and the odds of flooding are high but not 100%. In a mandatory evacuation area, there is no guarantee you'll be able to leave and that the odds of flooding are 100% (e.g., you are already trapped, go upstairs and wait for a boat). But I'm not 100% sure that this is the case.

And about flood insurance for cars, that was the first thing I was told when I moved to Houston. Get flood insurance for your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    What? You'd rather fire a person, thereby leaving them without a steady income and to start over just because they said something you disagreed with??
    It's up for the employer to decide that. I said "they should be fired" - which is an opinion. And yeah I believe professors should be professional & reasonable people that don't try to politically brainwash everyone they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    It is their right. As long as while in front of his students, he teaches them appropriate things.
    It's also the right of the employer to fire him for being a jackass.

Matt. The Weather. Okay?

starting strength coach development program
    What do my fellow Houstonians think of this curfew the city has in effect for us? Is Houston going Communist?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast