starting strength gym
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Press 3.0: The Olympic Press Double Layback

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I thought there was nothing much wrong with the video. It made perfect sense as a concise demonstration of a technique. You don't need to explain anything above and beyond the practical exhibition itself.

The side-view camera angle could have been a little better. There was some downward bar travel, and maybe the starting position wouldn't have conformed to clean & press rules - although I'm sure someone else could clarify this as I am not well-informed. But nothing to warrant even 'dislike'.

The title is 'A Demonstration of the Press Double Layback'. You click on the video and you get a demonstration of the press double layback.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Speaking for my own lifts, my back does overextend when that happens, and I do tweak my back more often when I layback that much compared to when I don't. I'll find an old picture I know I uploaded at some point as a reference point.
    If you can't control your low back, you shouldn't attempt the position. It's likely that the root is that you're trying to go back further than your flexibility allows -- if you do that, you have to make it up by bending at the back or the knee. Even when someone exceeds their capacity in the former, it almost exclusively shows up in the upper/mid back rather than the low back.

In the same way a back is held in extension while moving forward at the hip, it can be held in extension while moving the torso backward at the hip. I think all of you guys will concede this can be done for a certain ROM, but have a problem seeing that the same thing is happening over a larger ROM in lifters who are more flexible and who have the athleticism to pull it off. IOW, if you can't control hyperextension when you press, you need some coaching, you need to get stronger abs, or you have no business attempting this advanced version of the lift. I'll be posting vid of differences in position in a bit. Rip says I am wasting my time, but it will be helpful for those who are actually willing to learn and just need some help with seeing what is going on from a remote situation. It's a lot easier in person as someone can simply feel the back position stay the same during the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Has anyone suggested a pay site?
    Hard at work, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I'll be posting vid of differences in position in a bit.
    One could say that you are bending over backwards to try and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hard at work, right now.
    Make sure Stef gets a raise.

How much does the second layback "reduce" the work Chase does with his 300 pounds?
    If you are referring to total work, then the same amount of work is performed, since the same weight is moved over the same distance.

I think the nuance is in the amount of work the key muscles do through the various parts of the movement and the consequent training stimulus. In a strict press, the deltoids and the triceps are doing 100% of their share of the work through 100% of the ROM. In a press 2.0, the same muscles are doing a bit less work, say 10% less in the beginning phase of the press, due to the initial hip thrust. In a double layback press, the muscles are doing a bit less just like in press 2.0 during the first layback, and then doing a smaller amount of work during the second layback since some of the work is provided by the hips, pectorals, and an easier extension afforded by the increased bar-to-torso distance. However, even though they are less involved, more weight could be used.

My question would be if a double layback press is better from a training standpoint compared to other press variations, specifically press 2.0? It would allow one to use more weight, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    For fuck's sake, indeed.

On what planet do literate people not realize that the first statement is not an endorsement?

On what planet do literate people not realize that the second statement is an invitation to reasonable discussion?
    You do fucking realize that the video was released without description, and that the one on there now was added after this whole shit show? Figure shit out, George.

Hard at work, right now.
    Perhaps part of signing up for SSOC could be access to the pay site, if one were to be erected? Or maybe these two forums need to be merged.

You're beginning to understand. Look at her hip position compared to theirs. Look at the position of the bar relative to her body compared to theirs.
    I think I get this now. When you hyperextend your lumbar spine, your butt pops out like a swimsuit model. But there's no way to pop your bootie when you're doing a layback press with your legs straight.

You can set up in the rack position with your lumbar spine hyperextended, but then you can't layback anywhere near as far. If you start with your lumbar spine in the normal position, it stays that way under the load and you can do the layback.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    You do fucking realize that the video was released without description, and that the one on there now was added after this whole shit show? Figure shit out, George.
    Come on. So they put out a video that wasn't a "by the book" platform video. Do you really need your hand held this much?

starting strength coach development program
    You can try this yourself standing up, rather than analysing from your computer chair. First try relaxing your glutes and extending your back, and leaning over backwards- it is very uncomfortable. Now squeeze your glutes hard and tense your low back, and lean over. It feels safe and comfortable, you can lean over much further and you can feel your abdominals working to keep you back solid.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast