starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for Jet Lag?

Default Programming for Jet Lag?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip; et al,

After slowly working my way through the 600+ pages of Q&A (it's taken me a few weeks), and hopefully becoming a bit more familiar with the common questions/answers, I realized reading a post about one of your seminars, that I hadn't seen any other mention of this; jet lag and its effects (other than you stated "it will impact your training"). It was a brief exchange between you and one of the guys from London who attended one of your seminars here in the US.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how you should program for significant jet lag ("significant" meaning more than just a couple of hours time difference; more so 8+ hr change or more)? I was curious as will be travelling internationally soon, and while the hotel actually has a gym with bars, plates and racks, the issue of the time change/jet lag popped into my head.

I've noticed a lot of older folks on this forum internationally travel as well, so was also curious as to their experiences too (as I am in my upper 40's).

Thoughts from you and/or the community?

Every lifter who flies internationally for a world championship has to deal with this, and do so under the highest pressure and sometimes the worst conditions (depending on who is hosting the meet). Caffeine is an important tool. But we'll ask the board.

One solution, if possible, would be to arrive a few days in advance to allow some time to re-adjust. Obviously this is not always possible. I'm a little concerned about possible jet lag for the seminar in December, as I'll be leaving 3 PM and apparently arriving... at 3 PM. So I'm going to turn up on the 6th, two days early.

Unfortunately, I'm utterly impervious to caffeine. I guess that happens when you live off double-strength americanos ("long blacks" as we call them here).

Many years ago, when I did a lot of international travel for work, I read a book called "Overcoming Jet Lag." The authors asserted that depleting your glycogen stores would, at least partially, reset your biological clock (circadian rhythms). They had a program of alternating fasting, by which they really meant eating a high-protein/low-glycemic-index meal, with feasting on carbohydrates just before local bedtime to help you fall asleep. They also used caffeine in specific amounts at specific times.

It's not a magic bullet, and all they promised is that it would reduce the time required to adapt to a new time zone. It does not eliminate jet lag entirely; it just minimizes its effects. That said, it seemed to work for me. Coach, if you'll allow a link, this is it on amazon.

Overcoming Jet Lag: Charles F. Ehret, Lynne Waller Scanlon: 9780425099360: Amazon.com: Books

If you do the caffeine buy pills. In fact, buy these pills (I make no money here what so ever).

Kaizen Caffeine (6 x 100 Tabs) 200mg [600 Tabs] - Gorilla Jack Supplements Canada

An 8 ounce cup of coffee has 200 mg, and costs much more than 7 cents. Those pills work out to be ~7 cents each before shipping costs. I take them daily and they really work well.

MarinePMI,

I am also in my late 40's. I travel internationally for my job 4-6 times per year ... usually from MN to Thailand (among other Asian countries) which is a 12 hour time change. My advice to you is to not over think this. Just train. Your brain will tell you how tired you are but your body will respond better than you think. It is a "mind over matter" thing more than anything else. Also exercise in any form will help transition to the time change. I would also advise you to pay close attention to your food and water consumption. It is easy to get dehydrated and to eat too little. Food and water will have a bigger impact on your ability to train than the time change. Also as Rip mentioned caffeine is your friend - but use it wisely. It can be a great aid to your training sessions but sleep is required to recover, so pay attention to when and how much caffeine you take in.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    If you do the caffeine buy pills. In fact, buy these pills (I make no money here what so ever).

Kaizen Caffeine (6 x 100 Tabs) 200mg [600 Tabs] - Gorilla Jack Supplements Canada

An 8 ounce cup of coffee has 200 mg, and costs much more than 7 cents. Those pills work out to be ~7 cents each before shipping costs. I take them daily and they really work well.
    You realize that a 100-count bottle of 200 mg Walmart caffeine tabs is $2.48?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You realize that a 100-count bottle of 200 mg Walmart caffeine tabs is $2.48?

Difference due to location?

SHit ive paid 8 dollars for a 20 pack at a CVS before.

yeah 1200 for $11

Jeeze

I'd like to say thank you to everyone for their insights and recommendations.

I fly out in the morning and arrive at my location the following morning (local time). I'm hoping to get a couple winks on the plane, and get to my hotel late morning and hit the gym after eating. I'll remember to pack a healthy ziploc bag of pre-workout mix(caffiene) in my luggage and get to the gym in time to allow me to shower, eat and crash there after. Hopefully that'll help get me on the right time.

I used to travel all the time (75% both nationally and internationally) when I was younger, but these days I avoid it like the plague (I really hate it). And I certainly was not training back then, like I am now. They can keep their Premier/Platinum/Diamond status; modern air travel just blows these days.

Again, thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

~MarinePMI

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    modern air travel just blows these days.
    Modern air travel is nothing short of a miracle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast