starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength and a Rational Philosophy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wanted to write this post as a means of clarification. As someone with considerable exposure to Japanese culture, I've internalized the typical Japanese reticence to give offense. And I could hardly sleep last night thinking I may have unintentionally offended many of those following this thread and especially Coach Sullivan, whose book, podcasts, articles, intelligence, breadth of knowledge, sense of humor and wit I admire greatly. So by way of making amends I thought I'd clarify what motivated me to start this thread.

I wanted to sketch out what I think SS has in common with a philosophical outlook which can be described as pro-science, pro-common sense, pro-reason, which advocates that every individual should be strong, that strength is an essential feature of physical and psychological health and that strength is a necessary component of becoming more self-sufficient and reliant. In doing so, my intention was not to exclude those who may be attracted to SS for other reasons. There is no and there ought not be an intellectual litmus test for being a fan of SS and people with all manner of philosophic outlooks are welcome to embrace strength as a central goal in their lives and should do so.

But for those that find themselves sympathetic to the philosophic outlook I outlined above and in my previous posts, I think SS may be especially appealing. My argument is simply that SS being simpático with this type of philosophic outlook is yet another reason for those that share this outlook to love and adopt the SS model in their lives.

I'm sure that Rip did not intend to exclude anyone who is not a "small L libertarian" when he discussed how he thought the SS model was consistent with that political viewpoint on the Woods podcast. SS has precious few adherents and I'm sure Rip didn't intend to narrow cast its value even more narrowly by sharing his political leanings. But I can see how some people might see it that way and this may be why Coach Sullivan advised Rip to stay away from politics during the podcast they did together.

Regardless, I share a love for the SS training model with many of my brothers and sisters on this forum and will continue to heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to live a life of greater significance.

Quote Originally Posted by donfrancisco View Post
    Dear Coach Sullivan,

I've only read some about Zen and participated in a couple of meditative practices in Japan. But I can't say I've ever practiced it. Could you enlighten (pardon the pun) me as to what you see Zen and SS as having in common?
    How many heavy squats have you performed? The one and true way of squatting heavy is with an empty mind. The void knows no fear. Aggressiveness is a reaction brought forth by fear (adrenaline surge).

It's just like when you take a hard hit to the head in a fight, if you let the adrenaline get in your head and become exceedingly aggressive, you will open up like an amateur and take many more hits to the head. The same way, the bar will staple you into the ground if you approach it without an empty mind and let your guard down.

Namaste.

Dear Crom,
    Please be more benevolent in terms of how you characterize my beliefs.
    I did not realize that those "thoughts" had been elevated to "beliefs". So I am not trying to insult you or degrade you. Sorry.

I am just pointing out the self-referential paradox and flaw in believing in a statement such as "The distinction between reason and rationalization is fairly well articulated and established in the cognitive psychology literature. Reason is our means of adhering to reality, rationalization a means of evading it. Again, this distinction is not original to me."
    EVERYONE thinks they are thinking "valid thoughts" along a "valid train of logic". NO ONE thinks "I am just rationalizing this to myself!"

And let me repeat that usually when I say "you", I mean "the royal you", not You, donfrancisco. I should probably say "When one....."
    And I simply disagree with your view that eugenics was reasonable, not even in its time.
    Well....there you have it. Your reasoning is valid...and theirs was "rationalizing".

Dear Coach Sullivan,
    I've only read some about Zen and participated in a couple of meditative practices in Japan. But I can't say I've ever practiced it. Could you enlighten (pardon the pun) me as to what you see Zen and SS as having in common?
    Bhikkhu Xing Si, a Dhyana Master, was born at An Cheng of Zhi Zhou of a Liu family. Upon hearing that the preaching of the Patriarch had enlightened a great number of people, he at once came to Cao Xi to tender him homage, and ask him this question:
    "What should a learner direct his mind to, so that his attainment cannot be rated by the (usual) 'Stages of Progress'?"
    "What work have you been doing?" asked the Patriarch.
    "Even the Noble Truths taught by various Buddhas I have not anything to do with," replied Xing Si.
    "What Stage of Progress are you in?" asked the Patriarch.
    "What Stage of Progress can there be, when I refuse to have anything to do with even the Noble Truths?" he retorted.
    His repartee commanded the great respect of the Patriarch who made him leader of the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    How many heavy squats have you performed? The one and true way of squatting heavy is with an empty mind.
    I vehemently disagree with this approach. When you take a heavy bar out of the rack, you had better be focused on the precise mechanical cues that will enable you to lift the weight. This is a mental skill that must be developed along with physical strength. Instead of thinking about how heavy the bar is, you must learn to carefully direct your actions through the movement, so that the bar receives your best effort. This empty mind shit will get you hurt.

I too am interested in Dr Sullivan's thoughts.

I would have thought a massive weight on the back, over the face, overhead, or to be lifted from the floor would be probably the most meditative practices around. Utter clear head and focus is required.

I have read Tao Te Ching, but not to the depth others have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I vehemently disagree with this approach. When you take a heavy bar out of the rack, you had better be focused on the precise mechanical cues that will enable you to lift the weight. This is a mental skill that must be developed along with physical strength. Instead of thinking about how heavy the bar is, you must learn to carefully direct your actions through the movement, so that the bar receives your best effort. This empty mind shit will get you hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    SS also comports well with that most anti-rational of philosophies, Zen, which compels you to shut-the-f*ck-up & do the work.
    Since I'm not as good with words, I'll just point to a book that explains how an empty mind helps with motor skills, directly from Kyudo studies: Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel

Dear Coach Sullivan,

And here we get into that peculiar dialectical cul-de-sac where people want to talk about Zen, which is even more beside the point than talking about rationalist metaphysical or political or epistemological foundations for strength training.

Very well, then, if we must: See Hanley's post above. He said it as well as anybody can say it. It's not a question of whether they have "anything in common." Zen, in its essence, is not exclusive to any mode of being: sitting on a zafu and watching yourself breathe, reflecting on Buddha-nature and/or QFT, lifting weights, balancing your checkbook, or taking a shit. Zen is not detachment, quite the opposite, and the Zen mode of being is not at all a "special" or "mystical" mode of being. It is not a philosophy, or a religion, or a metaphysics, or, in my opinion, a means to any tangible end. It is quite explicitly empty. It is a practice; quite simply a way to be.

Emphasis on simply.

Aaaand we're pretty far afield now. Silly, all of it very silly.

I'll leave you with these pictures of people practicing Zen.

Starting Strength and a Rational Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Since I'm not as good with words, I'll just point to a book that explains how an empty mind helps with motor skills, directly from Kyudo studies: Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel
    I disagree with lots of things in books, as I'm sure you do too. An "empty mind" is an interesting concept, and I'm not sure that Zen advocates it. The mind empties when the body dies, and that's the only time it happens.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is entirely correct. And thinking about your checkbook, or Thrones, or pussy, or are-my-board-shorts-long-enough-or-too-long while squatting (or driving, or shaving, or operating heavy machinery) gets you hurt, too. The idea that if someone engages in the "Zen of lifting" they are in any way disengaged, mentally or otherwise, from the task at hand is a complete misapprehension of the practice. When one is doing a squat, one should be squatting, and engaged in every bit of mental and physical effort required by squatting. They are just squatting.

This is the sort of confusion that results from talking about Zen, which is to actual Zen as masturbation is to actual fucking.

"Emptiness" in Zen does not denote some sort of zombie-like absence. It actually denotes one's complete presence and attention in the activity at hand.

STUDENT: Master, what is the Enlightened Path to the True Practice?
    MASTER: Stop thinking about this True Practice shit while you're under the bar, asswipe. Keep the bar over the middle of the foot, eyeballs, hip drive, stay tight, and put your plates away when you're done. What, are you a fucking idiot?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast