starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Starting Strength and a Rational Philosophy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back when I practiced Wushu and Sanshou we also trained qi-gong (westernized as chi-kung), and I can swear I had some warts on my hand diminish as a result of the training. N = 1, but after that I begun to acknowledge the power of the mind and of internal energy manipulation. Zen is quite powerful if you can do it, but rest assured it won't add kilos to your lifts.

What donfrancisco says Rip is onto is nothing new, as several have pointed out. "Sound body sound mind" etc. It's a great hook for showing resisting novices the benefits of strength training, especially when done with barbells, but it's something already built into several philosophical strands. Being weak is a recent life choice for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Back when I practiced Wushu and Sanshou we also trained qi-gong (westernized as chi-kung), and I can swear I had some warts on my hand diminish as a result of the training. N = 1,
    Warts are reported to go away on their own eventually after about 3 years (although you can get re-infected. Also, you are participating in contact sports with a contagious condition on your hands. When you bow to greet your opponent, you should also give them the business card of a good dermatologist. (Seriously, just get them removed.) I don't think this counts as practicing Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Warts are reported to go away on their own eventually after about 3 years (although you can get re-infected. Also, you are participating in contact sports with a contagious condition on your hands. When you bow to greet your opponent, you should also give them the business card of a good dermatologist. (Seriously, just get them removed.) I don't think this counts as practicing Zen.
    No contact without gloves, which were only used by me, and I got them removed with liquid nitrogen by the best dermatologist in the city. Thanks for your input, doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    No contact without gloves, which were only used by me, and I got them removed with liquid nitrogen by the best dermatologist in the city. Thanks for your input, doc.
    OK, well why didn't you just say that, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    OK, well why didn't you just say that, then?
    It wasn't relevant to my point.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    "Emptiness" in Zen does not denote some sort of zombie-like absence. It actually denotes one's complete presence and attention in the activity at hand.
    One disciple is bragging about his master to the disciple of another master. He claims that his teacher is capable of all sorts of magical acts, like writing in the air with a brush, and having the characters appear on a piece of paper hundreds of feet away. "And what can YOUR master do?" he asks the other disciple. "My master can also perform amazing feats," the other student replies. "When he sleeps, he sleeps. When he eats, he eats."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567