starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Psychologically induced symptoms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Sounds like a huge strawman argument. I know nothing about this doctor, so I'm not defending him, but what you just argued against has nothing to do with what the doctor said.
    Perhaps you're right that it is straw man argument, though I did include the word 'if.' I have not read the book, but the poster portrayed it's ideas in fairly extreme terms. If the author's larger point is that much of back pain is psychosomatic, and should be addressed in such terms, then I agree. I see this every single day in clinical practice. But I do, for example, take issue with anyone, especially and MD, who equates even some spinal stenosis with fibromyalgia, as the original poster seems indicate that he does. Spinal stenosis patients usually do not have pain at all--they have sensation loss in their legs and feet and begin having trouble walking. That is not psychosomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Your line of thinking is the exact same line of thinking that required Rip to write the "a clarification" article, and the reason people still think SS is tell middle aged fat men to drink a gallon of milk.
    I believe this is called a slippery slope argument, perhaps with a dash of ad hominem attack.

But come on--let's all have a little humility here. I think those who have posted here basically agree with one another. Injuries like herniated discs are best treated non-surgically more often than not, and training can play a huge therapeutic role.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialRider View Post

...and Dr. Sarno doesn't say the herniated discs (among other things) are all psychological but that the pain associated from these issue is.
    Can we get something straight. All pain is psychological. Psychology is the study of the mind, brain and nervous system.

No brain, no pain.

Pain perceived is pain, and dealing with it will always be a mix of physical and mental stimulus.

Quote Originally Posted by dfclark68 View Post
    I see this every single day in clinical practice. But I do, for example, take issue with anyone, especially and MD, who equates even some spinal stenosis with fibromyalgia, as the original poster seems indicate that he does. Spinal stenosis patients usually do not have pain at all--they have sensation loss in their legs and feet and begin having trouble walking. That is not psychosomatic.
    What kind of special insights/experience do you have to treating and diagnosing people Spinal stenosis?

The author is merely stating that someone can have the symptoms of Spinal Stenosis due to repressing emotions, stress, and tension.

Like Rip has said about an older person's back, if you were to go to the doctor saying you think you have spinal stenosis and have all the symptoms they'll probably diagnose you with it.

Sarno lost me when he wrote that "low blood sugar is emotionally induced...and I experience it from time to time but it never persists because I am aware of its cause."

OK

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Sarno lost me when he wrote that "low blood sugar is emotionally induced...and I experience it from time to time but it never persists because I am aware of its cause."

OK
    That's not a logical fallacy - you mentioned he had logical fallacies in his book, we're still waiting to hear those.

And also seeing how you cherry picked certain phrases (I don't even know are true) and combined them to make a quote out of context, it seems to me as if you don't have much of an argument.

Perhaps he was saying that symptoms of low blood sugar (heart palpitations, shakiness, and anxiety) can actually be caused by stress and tension rather than physically having low blood sugar WHICH IS TRUE.

Have you ever seen someone who was a nervous wreck acting like they're about to faint or something and then they say "I think my blood sugar dropped" or something similar?!

Your post is the biggest non-argument I've ever seen in my life. It's literally you giving your uneducated opinion about something you have no clue about.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    That's not a logical fallacy - you mentioned he had logical fallacies in his book, we're still waiting to hear those.
    So YOU post a book that make extraordinary claims, but it is OUR responsibility to critically read it for you and post the refutations?

A. You don't understand how the burden of proof works...

and

B. Good lord, how entitled can you be?

And also seeing how you cherry picked certain phrases (I don't even know are true) and combined them to make a quote out of context, it seems to me as if you don't have much of an argument.
    It's a direct quote from his book: The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain - John E. Sarno - Google Books

Quote Originally Posted by greywar View Post
    So YOU post a book that make extraordinary claims, but it is OUR responsibility to critically read it for you and post the refutations?

A. You don't understand how the burden of proof works...

and

B. Good lord, how entitled can you be?
    I'm not sure what planet you're on, but I never suggested anybody needs to "critically read" the book?

I'm not trying to prove anything - he said that there was logical fallacies in the book, and then couldn't elaborate upon that.

starting strength coach development program
    - he said that there was logical fallacies in the book, and then couldn't elaborate upon that.
    If you read the book, and you can't find the logical fallacies in his "arguments," then you might want to brush up on your logical fallacies. I read that book 20 years ago - I'm not going to dig it out of the trash to do your HW for you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast