starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick D'Agostino SSC: Strength Training for Golf

Default Nick D'Agostino SSC: Strength Training for Golf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Anecdotally, when I started focusing on the complex barbell movements and cut out the silly bullshit, my drive went from 240 to 300. This is as my lifts have continued to increase, of course. How crazy. It's like strength actually has application!

Good luck with selling legit strength training to golfers . . .

Tiger Woods did us no favors. Took a huge step backwards here.

Now all I hear from people (friends; golf media; Dan Patrick; etc) is how he got too bulked up and too strong,

and therefore ruined his back and his "swing" (whatever that means) with all that "extra muscle".

All he did was bro-$h!t routines and junk . . .

Hilarious (Rory McIllroy)

Ok, genius idea coming:

Issue a bunch of new books:
    Starting Strength Football Edition
    Starting Strength Golf Edition
    Starting Strength Baseball Edition
    Starting Strength Swimming Edition
    .... and so forth.

But (here's the genius part) don't change anything inside. Just the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Good luck with selling legit strength training to golfers . . .
    Or cyclists, or boxers, or MMA, or Olympic weightlifting. It's always a problem, but if we penetrate a couple of important personalities, we'll have accomplished something. It will take time, but we have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

Hilarious (Rory McIllroy)

To be fair to Rory McIlroy, he does at least squat.

VIDEO: Rory McIlroy's intense squat work-out routine is simply mesmerising | SportsJOE.ie

Simply mesmerizing. Mesmerising. Hypnotic.

Here's a good example of what you're up against with golfers:

NBC's Miller right to warn Rory and Tiger, the Hans and Franz of golf, about weightlifting | Golf | Sporting News

Been a golf fan since I was a kid and played a lot. I've often heard "don't do what Johnny Miller did." What did he do? He was on a winning streak including some majors he "went off to a cabin in the woods and chopped wood all winter to get stronger and became muscle bound and lost his touch."

Mark - when you've trained cyclists, has the general recommendation to gain weight to get stronger been an issue? Cyclists are usually underweight, but that can be an asset because of the focus on power/weight ratio for performance. That's why so many are skinny. All else equal, 400 watts pulling 175 lbs goes faster than 400 watts pulling 200 lbs. Have you trained cyclists who have gotten bigger and performed better (e.g. Got faster) on the bike? Or do you maybe approach it to get them stronger while maintaining weight or minimizing weight gain?

He should know not to wear black for form checks.

starting strength coach development program
    Just thought I'd add my experience. Years ago when I was in college and played golf regularly, one winter I did my first incorrect attempt at SS, and reached staggering numbers for a young male of 225 squat, 315 deadlift, 180 bench, and 120 press for 5's. During this winter, I did not touch a golf club once. Fast forward to the spring, and me not being the sharpest tool in the shed, it took multiple rounds of golf to figure out why the hell I kept sailing greens by as much as 20+ yards. When I finally put 2 and 2 together, I had to club down 1-2 clubs compared to where I was before touching a barbell. My drives were obviously going significantly further as well.

It felt pretty cool to take a PW from 150 whereas most recreational golfers I was paired with would grab a 7 iron. I could also take my 4i 220 after a little strength training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast