starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Platform: How to Rack Pull

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by unruhschuh View Post
    Don't mistake a discussion for an argument. An argument leads to feelings being hurt and that is frowned upon, according to the new rules (SCNR). A discussion leads to better understanding; or an argument, and in turn to feelings being hurt. I don't want to hurt no feelings, I'm here for the discussion and I'd like to know if the Master Cue(TM) of having the COM of the lifter/bar system over the midfoot applies here.

Simply put: Are you supposed to feel the weight on your heels at the beginning of the rack pull?
    No.

If the answer is no, and the Bar is supposed to be behind the midfoot, the COM of the lifter must be in front of the midfoot. How far depends on the weight of the lifter and the weight on the bar.
    You're supposed to stay out over the bar more in a rack pull. But as I explained, there is room for variation. You're a sharp guy, and I think you can see that anthropometry plays a role here.

Thanks Rip. That clarified it for me.

I also want to thank you for your videos and articles. They are flawed, as everything else and I will continue to help make them better, since it is just so much fun for me to "pick shit apart" and "be smarter than everyone else". I actually do this for a living, so occupational hazard I guess.

Just lift the damn bar. Your body will figure out where it needs to go after you do it a few times. I think there would be a lot less question asked if people would just go try the damn lifts a few times before they start asking questions. Quit over-analyzing every thing. Fuck, how do you keep your sanity Rip?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Leonard View Post
    Funny you should say this, as it was my exact thought as I was skimming thru some of the responses. I skim because for whatever reason, people tend to nitpick the and piss and moan about everything Rip seems to post. How about this, if you have legitimate question or concern, post it. If you just want to prove you are RIGHT and everyone else is wrong, don't post it. Not taking up for anyone here, as I am sure Rip and the other coaches do a fine job of that on their own, but as someone who truly would like to learn and grow as a coach/lifter, please take this forum for what it what originally meant to be (I assume), and quit making it about "I'M SMARTER THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE SO LISTEN TO ME!!!". Just my two cents....
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmccoig View Post
    How come every video, article, etc. that Rip post is followed by an argument? Why can't you just say "thanks for making the time to make this Rip"? Why do you folks follow this forum if you don't like the materials offered on it? If you folks know a better way, make some videos, write some articles, do something constructive instead of picking shit apart. If Rip gave you a gold brick you would bitch about having to carry it!
    Seriously? I didn't even see anyone nitpicking or bitching. They are all legitimate questions or concerns, from people at different stsages of life/training.

If you just want to get big and don't care about anything, then sure, just follow the leader. But if you want to learn and be self-dependent at some time, you need to understand why something is the way it is.

When I asked RIP why the bar doesn't start at COM, it wasn't to take a jab at him. It's to learn from his reasoning, so that I can apply to in a different situation.

I would think this is self evident, but I guess not.

I don't mind the questions. I just think everybody is a little sensitive due to recent events.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy King View Post
    Just lift the damn bar. Your body will figure out where it needs to go after you do it a few times. I think there would be a lot less question asked if people would just go try the damn lifts a few times before they start asking questions. Quit over-analyzing every thing. Fuck, how do you keep your sanity Rip?
    no kiddin'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy King View Post
    Thanks for the sage advice. I'll stop thinking about "knees out" "bar over midfoot" and any other cues, now that I know my body will magically do the lift correctly after a few times.

Using proper form is about individual perspective. It's about understanding where you body needs to be and what it feels like when it's there. For some it may come perfectly natural, for others not so much.

For those who it does not come so naturally to, the kind of nit picking in this thread can be extremely helpful.

"Just lift the damn bar" is not an approach we advocate here, Jeremy. Trailer-park powerlifters coach that way, but we prefer a little more attention to detail.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry Rip. Just lift the damn bar was a little brash. I must've been aggravated that day. It is also tiring reading all the posts of people wanting to argue with you on everything you say. I should have said to just pick a lighter weight and practice the pull with different weight and you should be able to feel the proper position and you will learn what the wrong positions feel like. Intermediates already know about proper back position. I have been doing this for many years so maybe I think it should come more natural to people. Sorry if I offended the people that ask legitimate questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast