starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Greysteel Podcast: Eggs.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Dietary CHOLESTEROL - isn't; dietary FAT(like the one from McDonalds and other junk food) - much more. Not everyone will have that influence, but even 25% difference can be crucial for an individual.
    So people on a ketogenic diet have elevated serum cholesterol?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So people on a ketogenic diet have elevated serum cholesterol?
    I don't know, never seen their blood results. Talking about myself, my LDL(I've already mentioned it at least once, so sorry) raised to above 130 the year I increased my intake of McDonalds, pizzas and shawarma. And here and there omelets of 2 - 3 eggs. When I stopped this idiotic "diet", the LDL dropped to less than 100 after a year+. It's obvious for me, that consuming a lot of saturated fat, fat from animal, especially meat, can lead to an elevated LDL, at least among some individuals.

I want to scream at these anti-cholesterol anti-egg campaigns sometimes when they have ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of dietary SUGAR. They ignore it like it's either a constant or doesn't matter at all and then go on and on about the evils of high cholesterol diets, and their link to diabetes. I heard there is some bullshit documentary on Netflix pushing a plant based diet that does the same thing but even worse, because they compare the "typical American diet" which is filled with simple carbs and sugar to a "plant based diet" that just coincidentally has almost no sugar in it, and then go on to blame meat as the obvious culprit.

I eat 5 eggs almost every morning. My blood cholesterol levels are fine, in fact they got better since I started doing that. In fact here are the before and after values from my bloodwork, which were about 1 year apart:

Total Cholesterol: 181 -> 155 (range 100-199)
    Triglycerides: 103 -> 38 (range 0-149)
    HDL Cholesterol: 49 -> 62 (range > 39)
    VLDL Cholesterol Cal: 21 -> 8 (range 5-40)
    LDL Cholesterol Calc: 111 -> 85 (range 0-99)
    T. Chol/HDL Ratio: 3.7 -> 2.5 (range 0.0-5.0)

Since I lost weight and gained muscle over that period as well though, I tend to think it was cleaning up my shit diet and sedentary lifestyle, along with restarting my weight training, and not the wonders of eggs for breakfast by themselves that made the difference.

"dietary FAT(like the one from McDonalds and other junk food) - much more."

You can't even just say fat in fast food, but rather specific ones such as partially hydrogenated oils:

Effect of Hydrogenated, Liquid and Ghee Oils on Serum Lipids Profile

And they are set to be banned by next year:

Final Determination Regarding Partially Hydrogenated Oils (Removing <i>Trans</i> Fat)

Quote Originally Posted by XTanuki View Post
    "dietary FAT(like the one from McDonalds and other junk food) - much more."

You can't even just say fat in fast food, but rather specific ones such as partially hydrogenated oils:

And they are set to be banned by next year
    Hope so. This are not normal fat, anyway. But I also talk about the simple fat from animal. Which also can raise your blood LDL to a higher level.

moonshot, nice results. How old are you? Normalizing weight and stopping being a sedentary can contribute to a better cholesterol levels. Did you change your consuming of fat from animal sources, besides eggs?

This documentary you are talking about "what the health" is a total embarrassment. They find several doctors who have all written books on plant based diets to embarrass themselves with nonsensical arguments. One was that the biggest animals on the planet are herbivores (therefore, you don't need to eat meat to get big). OK, maybe. But then you would have to spend the vast majority of your waking hours grazing and chewing, regurgitating your cud and chewing again...and have multiple stomachs. So, there are trade offs to being able to consume a high protein, nutrient dense diet rather than trying to get it all from leaves and grass.

There is also r/K theory implications...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    moonshot, nice results. How old are you? Normalizing weight and stopping being a sedentary can contribute to a better cholesterol levels. Did you change your consuming of fat from animal sources, besides eggs?
    I am 47, and 6'1". I was at a peak of 238 lbs. before I restarted training, probably ~30% body fat, dieted down to 199 lbs. mostly by skipping meals, and then started up my LP. I gained back to about 224 lbs. over 9 months, but a lot of that was muscle--my waist stayed the same measurement and my lifts all went up a lot. I was probably around 215 lbs. when that 2nd blood draw was taken, maybe about 6 months ago. I've been working on reducing my waist the last couple of months, and so far have dropped it from 39.5" to 37.5". I also just got a DEXA scan a couple of weeks ago and it said I was 18.3% body fat. I'm looking to get down to around 15% and then will probably start gaining slowly again with lift PRs being the primary goal again.

Regarding animal proteins, I eat a lot of meat. Typical lunch is a 6 oz. ribeye steak, and a big salad with probably at least 8 oz. of chicken on it. Dinner is always animal protein heavy, often chicken or lamb, or whatever my wife decides to cook when I'm not traveling for work, but that is always animal-protein based. Usually 2 or 3 two-scoop whey shakes per day for another 100-150g of protein. The biggest other changes were more around what I cut *out*. Before I got my shit together, I would have ice cream or some other crappy dessert almost every night. Pizza was a regular takeout option. Limiting carbs is probably the biggest shift overall.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
    Regarding animal proteins, I eat a lot of meat. Typical lunch is a 6 oz. ribeye steak, and a big salad with probably at least 8 oz. of chicken on it. Dinner is always animal protein heavy, often chicken or lamb, or whatever my wife decides to cook when I'm not traveling for work, but that is always animal-protein based. Usually 2 or 3 two-scoop whey shakes per day for another 100-150g of protein. The biggest other changes were more around what I cut *out*. Before I got my shit together, I would have ice cream or some other crappy dessert almost every night. Pizza was a regular takeout option. Limiting carbs is probably the biggest shift overall.
    What's so bad in pizza? I eat about 3 slices of pizza every week. A lot of carbo, but also protein.
    You say that the big change was limiting the carbs; maybe with reducing the carbs, you also have cut the amount of trans fat, thus influencing your LDL? Anyway, for me, significantly increasing the amount of junk food leaded to an elevated LDL(with the same HDL = 60+ and TRYG = 40 - 60), though I must say I didn't train properly in those days.
    And, by your starting numbers I guess you have a pretty good heredity. A lot of people are already on statins at your age. Good for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234