starting strength gym

Thread: Maslow's Hierarchy

Default Maslow's Hierarchy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Rip,

Where would you place strength within Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs? To my understanding, strength along with the physical and spiritual benefits of its pursuit, contribute to each and every level.

I would not attempt to do so.

This is getting out of hand. Is it time to burn the books yet? Not sure I can hold it any longer.

I think you're confusing this with Sandow's hierarchy.

Right under Curly, but above Shemp.

Level 2: Safety and Security for beginners.

If one were to continue to strive for better poundages and strength, perhaps Level 7 in achieving one's full potential.

Dear Rip,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Dear Mr. Hurling,

I definitely agree that strength contributes to safety and security. I feel more secure in the belief I can protect myself and my loved ones should the need arise. Additionally, being strong and, particularly the process of becoming strong, undoubtedly contributes to the full actualization of our selves-from our work capacity, to our usefulness to others, to our enjoyment of hobbies and even to the way we carry ourselves in the world to mention just a few contributions.

But I can also see how strength would be a key contributor to our basic level 1 physiological needs. Not just for all the metabolic reasons Coaches Sullivan and Baker point to in their book. But as these authors also make clear, strength is the key factor in our being able to move. And it's our ability to move that allows us to pursue food or avoid becoming food.

Similarly, I can see how strength contributes to enhanced self-esteem.

How being strong and becoming strong contributes to our need for social belonging is less clear in my mind. But in my experience, the process of becoming strong, with all of the spiritual benefits that accrue from that process, makes us more fulfilled, happier partners in all of our relationships. And this, in turn, may allow us to satisfy this crucial need more thoroughly--by making our relationships with others more mutually satisfying .

Here is something from the Scientology website:
    WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?
    Scientology resolves the problems of Man by addressing the spiritual travails which hold those problems in place and providing workable tools to improve conditions for all in life. As the barriers begin to fall away, one gains the ability to communicate, which in turn improves one's ability to have more meaningful interpersonal relationships. One also becomes free of unexplainable fears and stress, which in turn brings one enjoyment in life. However, more importantly, a Scientologist gains an understanding of themselves, spiritually, and so discovers their true potentials, recovering the certainty of their own immortality as a spiritual being and enhancing their ability to help others.

Just imagine if an individual were to become "Clear" AND follow the SS program !!!
    Has anyone done that ?

As far as maslow's hierarchy can be considered reliable and validated.....

Im down with Rip.

Plus you are talking about two different things here. Strength as defined by SS is hella necesarry on every level. Its what makes a human moves. But not untill you get to the higher regions you have actually made it so far you can start training for it.

starting strength coach development program
    The accumulation of strength is a combination of the accumulation of skill, accomplishment, and potential. It's a straightforward, obvious model, applicable to so many more complex pursuits, and enabling so many other physical pursuits. And I believe it helps you live longer at the top of the pyramid.