starting strength gym

Thread: Forearm Splints and Low Back Question

Default Forearm Splints and Low Back Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark,

I have two questions for you.

1. Do you have any recommendations on forearm splints, as in how to stop the pain from radiating? I have progressed up to a 260lb for 3x3 on bench press, and a 170lb 3x3 overhead press, and whenever I release the bar from my grip, a 4 second intense pain radiates from my wrist to my elbow, on the outside of my arms. After that time, the pain goes away. I have read on a few random websites to see if anyone else had this problem, and it seems to be a case of wrist strength/forearm strength. Have you ever heard of this, and do you recommend anything for it?

2. I deadlift with a mixed grip, left hand pronated and right hand supinated (I am also right hand dominate). Occasionally, on more lower-back intensity days and days that I do a significant amount of walking, my lower back is incredibly stiff on just the right side. It is very localized, at it feels as though it is just to the right of the spinal column. It does not hurt on a regular basis. I have heard that because I supinate my right arm deadlifting, this is why the pain is only on one side. Do you think there is any correlation to the two, and if so, would you say the simple solution would be to use straps unless I plan on competing?

Thank you, I appreciate your logical mind when it comes to these things.

1. I have never heard of forearm splints. Sorry.

2. I have recommended a hook grip for the deadlift for this reason. Strap if you don't need your grip stronger.

Heavy barbell curls would do the same to me. (In the bro days). Would get bad enough i couldnt carry heavy loads the way you hold a curl i front of you, or spot a heavy bench.
    It was only that particular hold that caused problems.

What helped was let the bar "hang" in the hands instead of actively squeezing the bar. Not an option in those exercises though but you might play around a lil with grip/the way you squeeze it?

Maybe wrist wraps are an idea? Some rest may be in order if its that bad.