starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Deadlift being even with Squat be a concern if both are progressing?

Default Should Deadlift being even with Squat be a concern if both are progressing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

Given: My Deadlift and Squat for a single top set of 5 are even, sitting right at about 390, and both are continuing to progress.

My question is twofold:

1) Should it be a concern, that my Deadlift is not further ahead of my Squat?

2) What are the usual culprits that are factors contributing to this?

More information: I'm young, 5'10", and very evenly proportioned. I do not have a training partner to take form check videos, but I'm reasonably confident that I do squat below parallel. Without being able to see me do the lifts, I was hoping you could list several common and maybe even uncommon contributors to this, since is it my understanding that the Deadlift should generally be somewhat ahead of the Squat for evenly proportioned people.

In my search for the answer to this question on the Forums, I did not find an answer from a Starting Strength Coach that was very direct and informative. The couple of times I did find a question similar to this, the culprit was determined to be a matter of their body proportions.

Thank you sir,

Micah

1. It's not a concern if you have anthropometric issues, like small hands or long back/short legs.

2. Squats above parallel, i.e. artificially strong squats. Video sorts this out.

Okay. I do not have any of the listed anthropometric issues, so I will make an effort to drag someone to the gym with me to get some form videos.

Thank you sir.

Just buy a cheap, portable tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Okay. I do not have any of the listed anthropometric issues, so I will make an effort to drag someone to the gym with me to get some form videos.

Thank you sir.
    And if dragging a human being against their will or spending money on a tripod seem like too much effort you could film it on your phone, upload to youtube or other similar site, and post in the technique section or Staff Coaches Forum. A free and very valuable resource

Quick commercial gym tripod: find a level spot, get a five pound dumbbell, prop up your phone, use a 2.5 lbs plate behind it to keep it from slipping. Tell everyone it's for your instagram followers.

I use the plyo box that people use as a cupholder and towel ring and delicately place one of the hooks on it, in which my phone can cosily rest and I can film my lifts in glorious portrait mode. We have this ugly bright orange rack with hooks that "turn into the uprights", so the turn part is where I can leave my phone standing. If you can't achieve this with your rack's hooks, I saw this video briefly on the Facebooks where you can tie zipties around your phone in such a way that you can leave the phone standing at an angle in picture mode, so better video quality and less grey hairs on Coach Campitelli's head should you post your video in the Technique section.

Alright, fair enough. I've just never tried to video myself by propping my phone up somewhere, but I will resort to that if I can't get a friend to come with. And thank you for directing me to the technique section. I will look into that.

I place mine phone on the floor with the top resting against the wall, or a kettlebell, or a dumbbell, or my water bottle. It is placed at roughly 45 to 55 degrees to my left side. Job done. Go to my training log to see the resulting videos look like. Not perfect but hopefully enough.

starting strength coach development program
    I use a wide roll of masking tape. Phone fits insideand is nicely stabilized. If you have a tablet sized phone I don't know which way you go with that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast