starting strength gym
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: What sport replaces the NFL?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I never said democrat money was bad. Fuck, I never said republican money was bad. I admitted in my post where I was coming from in the most honest way I could, and that's from the republican 1%. Thats why I said what I said, not to slander republicans. But show me a democrat who works for the oracle corporation and I'll show you beach front property in nebraska. The big business guys, most of them are republican. And why the hell wouldn't they be. The only thing better than being a republican is a wealthy one, right?

You're really going to try and lecture me on money and whether it changes people or not? Didn't I just tell you I grew up with money?
    You might be correct in the specific, e.g. Oracle. But you seem woefully uninformed of the other rich folk in that particular venue. Tech billionaires like Democrats more than Republicans. Here’s why. - The Washington Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The flag was and is an emblem of this nation. It was not intended to be representative of either or any political party. Rather a rallying point for ALL citizens of the United States. Both parties display it at their meetings with equal fervor and conviction. At least I'd like to think both do. I recall during the mess of the 2000 election aftermath both Gore and Bush seemed to compete by cramming as many US flags on the stages they stood on during press conferences while hanging chads and courts got sorted out.

The Star Spangled Banner was written by a third rate poet, Francis Scott Key. It was written as a celebration of American resolve to stand up to the world superpower, the UK, during our second outing with them in the War of 1812. Which was going badly for us at the time. It's not clear what party Key belonged to, but he was friendly with James Madison who was a Federalist. This too is claimed by both parties as our national anthem.

Now, unless you disagree that BOTH parties respect the flag and The Star Spangled Banner, it becomes difficult to consider either political symbols or anthems. If each party had their own flag and anthem, it seems as though you might have a point here. But these are not those.

Protesting police OTOH, is a time honored tradition of the left since at least the 60's. The root grievances and causes have morphed repeatedly, depending on what shit-hot marketing scheme leftists can brew up with focus groups to further their ends of creating more chaos on which to capitalize. After all, "can't let a good crisis go to waste" has become the key phrase since Rahm Emanuel uttered it as a formulation for success of leftist goals.
    Seems like you're reaching with this level of nuance. If it is acceptable to have these rituals in support of something, it is acceptable for someone to not participate in protest. You guys talk like you are being forced into something but the reality is closer to the opposite. If you want to participate, have at it. If others don't, try minding your own business. This form of protest is so far from being invasive that the outrage is laughable.

You might be correct in the specific, e.g. Oracle. But you seem woefully uninformed of the other rich folk in that particular venue. Tech billionaires like Democrats more than Republicans. Here’s why. - The Washington Post

The article draws some conclusions that I don't think can be supported. Example. The CEO of Uber is a fan of Obamacare because it helps drivers keep healthcare.....he argues that Silicon Valley thinks the Democrat Party is good for emerging industries. I say BS. They like Obamacare because they don't have to shell out money for healthcare and benefits administration. Those two things are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretzel View Post
    You know what this country has lost? The ability to say "I disagree with this guy, but he's a damn fine person. We don't vote the same way, but he's a good man." Instead what we do is demonize. You see a guy and say "we disagree a bit on policy, but you know what? He's the devil. He's absolute evil. He aligns himself with everything I hate! Terrorist! Communist! Fascist! Racist! Sexist!"
    This phenomenon fascinated me too.
    If one group said, "Let's head North", and another group said "Let's head East", then we could compromise and set out Northeasterly.
    But in modern America, one group is saying "Let's head North" and the other is saying "Let's head South".

If you would look up the definition of "Classic Liberalism", you will see that it, ironically, reflects the ideals of the Republican Party and modern "conservatives" almost perfectly.
    A distinction must be made then, between "classic liberalism" and "modern liberalism", which is a syndrome of positions based on a different paradigm.

The reason this situation has arisen is very clearly explained in this video:

Quote Originally Posted by konkoba98 View Post
    Seems like you're reaching with this level of nuance. If it is acceptable to have these rituals in support of something, it is acceptable for someone to not participate in protest. You guys talk like you are being forced into something but the reality is closer to the opposite. If you want to participate, have at it. If others don't, try minding your own business. This form of protest is so far from being invasive that the outrage is laughable.
    They are just not going to understand this. Rather, they are going to restate the argument to suit their "refutation" while ignoring the point. Further discussion is obviously pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They are just not going to understand this. Rather, they are going to restate the argument to suit their "refutation" while ignoring the point. Further discussion is obviously pointless.
    I suppose we should petition the NFL to honor (weekly) all those law enforcement officers, (local, state, federal), who haven't shot anyone down in cold blood, have not tarnished the badge and have risked their lives on behalf of the communities and nation they serve. If there's anything "systemic" in law enforcement from one coast to another it is the overwhelming commitment to doing the job without resorting to the use of excessive force by the vast majority of officers and their departments.

(And before anyone paints me as one dimensional in my point of view, I've known a couple of bad LEOs during my career and it was heartbreaking to learn of. In another instance I arrested one who was a prominent player in an international narcotics distribution ring I was investigating, and was further suspected by his own IA people to be involved in home invasions through his intermediaries. I don't stand with those who tarnish the badge. Never have.)

What, pray tell, is nuanced when the historical facts of why the flag was made and carried into battle by the Continental Army and hung in Philadelphia for the Continental Congress and other US public building. To include the adoption of the Star Spangled Banner somewhat later after Jackson settled Pakenham's hash in New Orleans in 1814. These are facts, they are well documented, they are apolitical, and are entirely secular in nature.

So I don't quite understand what you think you mean by "ritual." I don't think you do either. Those who do not wish to participate are free to do so. They could also choose not participate in pursuing their livelihood as the ultimate form of protest. But it's not unusual for those who have been granted privilege by parents, schools, administrators, and even LE (think pre-homicide OJ here) to believe they can say and do anything free of the consequences of those actions by those who disagree. As a former cop I am not outraged, I'll just refrain from enriching the players or owners any further by voting with my feet, eyeballs, and further interest in the politicization injected into sports by leftists.

So protest away. But when you tell me to mind my own business, you are spitting on the very freedom of expression you deem so important in the one instance and not at all in the other. There are streets named after people who espouse such a position. They are called One Way.

You send me this as if the fact that these people sending money to democrats actually makes them democrats. Bill Gates doesn't give a hoot and a holler about any of that, he cares where the $$$$$ is. And in very recent years, tech companies see the biggest money in democratic youth, of which a majority are and of which technology plays a central point in their lives. Of course they would give money to elect dems. That's where the money is. You really think Bill gates was giving money to dems 30 years ago? Bill gates would tell everyone he was Green Party if that's where the money was. Having said that, in terms of ideology, big business tends to be a very republican thing. And you don't need to think that hard on it to see why that is, or why these guys subscribe to that ideology. I saw it every. damn. day.

I think that's the whole point. The NFL is perfectly free to turn their whole game into a political event, and patrons are completely free to find something else to do on Sunday afternoons. I think they are going to get a good taste of people minding their own business, and they're not going to like it much. Hence the question, what sport replaces the NFL?

starting strength coach development program
    This form of protest is so far from being invasive that the outrage is laughable.
    Is it relevant that their protest is complete bullshit? Blacks vs. Police - Walter E. Williams

According to "The Washington Post," 737 people have been shot and killed by police this year in the United States. Of that number, there were 329 whites, 165 blacks, 112 Hispanics, 24 members of other races and 107 people whose race was unknown.
    Here are the Chicago numbers for the ignored deaths. So far in 2017, there have been 533 murders and 2,880 shootings. On average, a person is shot every two hours and 17 minutes and murdered every 12 1/2 hours. In 2016, when Colin Kaepernick started taking a knee, Chicago witnessed 806 murders and 4,379 shootings. It turns out that most of the murder victims are black. Adding to the tragedy is the fact that Chicago has a 12.7 percent murder clearance rate. That means that when a black person is murdered, his perpetrator is found and charged with his murder less than 13 percent of the time.
    Many Americans, including me, see the black NFL player protest of police brutality as pathetic, useless showboating. Seeing as these players have made no open protest against the thousands of blacks being murdered and maimed by blacks, they must view it as trivial in comparison with the police killings. Most of the police killings fit into the category of justified homicide.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast