starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many layers of complete uninformed bullshit can you identify in this article?

Default How many layers of complete uninformed bullshit can you identify in this article?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

"...if you’ve never lifted a barbell and then start lifting 10kg, you’ll put your tissues at risk."

FFS

That one really stands out among the rest of this insane Journalism bullshit.

It's not like you'd expect much more from the Guardian.

"Van Dijk tells me she broke her hand doing box jumps last year" really just says it all. The images each say a thousand words, too. Running shoes instead of maybe a barbell or a weight plate, of which there are no images in the entire article; some instagram model showing off her lovely pearly whites; and a bunch of what appear to be detrained novices in entirely compromising positions. What's the bearded dude touching the girl's shoulder and back for? Doesn't he know the front of the upper torso is a more stable position to touch a female? He could knock her over! Why is the bald guy with the smug smile staring at the bearded dude like he thinks he realises him being up to no good? The black girl is giving the yoga lady the death stare for some unexplained reason while the other girl seems to be preoccupied with the hands or maybe the nails of the yoga lady, but why? And Mr. Widespread is just checking out yoga lady's ass, without a doubt. All of them are wearing running shoes, too, and it's making me even sicker than I already am. Someone pass me the plyo bucket so I can plyo vomit out my plyo insides.

Finally, this would be an ok article if it was about the entirely vapid instagram popularity that goes with the incredibly edited and theatrical fitness industry that does thrive on selling bullshit to suckers. Sadly, it's supposed to be about "fitness" as a whole and so gets lost in the confusion from the very beginning. As I said, not a single image or mention of a barbell or even a weight plate; 10kg could be anything ranging from a kettlebell to the plyo box on which Miss Van Dijk broke her hand, a trick she'll have to teach the other fabulous (PTs) if they don't know how to perform it already. As it stands, the whole entirety of fitness is represented as being "something one attempts to achieve through spinning classes and being duped by smarter people only to find out they're the lowest of the low, thus leaving them to admire the genetic elite in perpetuity and concluding that all there efforts now and in the future are completely in vain". Give it the title "suckers will be suckers", add "fuck you" as the final line in an oversized, shiny font, and give it a better author. Those running shoes, man, goddamn.

The lede line sets the tone for the whole article by agonizing over the horrors of "unregulated instructors"? How would the hapless consumers determine if a person is competent without a certificate from the state?

Maybe some of Rip's Euro-customers will drop by to explain that the Brits aren't really the bunch of sniveling ninnies the piece makes them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That one really stands out among the rest of this insane Journalism bullshit.
    It's The Guardian, Mark. The gold standard for journalistic bullshit. To get a better idea, take a look at @SoMuchGuardian. Then you just might find this article to be sensible and well informed in comparison.

I see your point.

But the NYT is not above this low standard: 110 Million Americans Have an S.T.D. - NYTimes.com

The incidence of chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis is increasing, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An estimated 110 million Americans now are infected with a sexually transmitted disease.
    One third of the entire population of the country has syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia? This makes not the slightest bit of sense, if you think about it for more than about 5 seconds, yet here it is, presented as obvious fact in the nations "newspaper of record."

After you've read the article, there are these links at the bottom. Amusing.

screenshot-www.theguardian.com-2017-10-01-00-29-39.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    I stopped reading after this...

Later this afternoon, she tells me, she is getting the symbol for Earth tattooed on her wrist because, “I’m a vegetarian for the planet.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast