starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: October: Roast pork, apples, and grog.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I absolutely love fall here in CT.
    Fall Foliage is great in New England. The crisp air is the best to climb in and hike in from my perspective, no bugs or bees on my rock.
    My wife will usually make a homemade apple pie to die for while the wood stove is fired up and my buddy and I are in the hot tub drinking. There is nothing finer after a day of hiking and rock climbing than sitting in my hot tub drinking dark stout beer and chatting about that days MANLY activities!
    Sparky

I like pork cooked with apples (plus cream, dry cider(hard) and/or apple brandy, and mustard)

Your food posts are some of your best, Rip. BTW, I quickly got your recipe for chicken fried steak into my mom's capable hands. She married a curmudgeon from Victoria, TX in the late 90's after my dad died. Apparently there's an eatery thereabouts called the Double J which was known for making a tasty chicken fried steak. Yours has been deemed superior.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    I wonder how the pork butt would be in a crockpot with said apples. Perhaps I shall give it a try and report back.
    I think it's pretty hard to fuck up a pork butt. If you're going to stew it, I'd give the fat a good trim first.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    In your opinion, how do pork and beef compare to each other?
    Like apples and oranges. Both are good.

Better yet...put the pork butt in the Traeger over night

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think it's pretty hard to fuck up a pork butt. If you're going to stew it, I'd give the fat a good trim first.
    Duly noted.

I wonder how the pork butt would be in a crockpot with said apples. Perhaps I shall give it a try and report back.
    Take the whole thing, stuff it with garlic (cut little slits all over it and stick half a clove of garlic in there... can skip this if you're lazy) season it however you like (I make a rub with salt, brown sugar, chili powder, and smoked paprika), then throw it in the crock pot for 12 or 14 hours on low. No need to add any liquid.

Boston butts are harder to find in my local grocery stores than the picnic shoulder cut with the skin on.

I used to cut it off and feed it to the dog, until I learned that if you leave the skin on and dial up the temperature to 400 or more towards the end, and crisp up the skin, you end up with some delicious cracklings.

Some recipes call for tons of garlic and spice, but I've found it comes out amazing with nothing added.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelancon View Post
    Take the whole thing, stuff it with garlic (cut little slits all over it and stick half a clove of garlic in there... can skip this if you're lazy) season it however you like (I make a rub with salt, brown sugar, chili powder, and smoked paprika), then throw it in the crock pot for 12 or 14 hours on low. No need to add any liquid.
    I have found my recipe for this weekend.

starting strength coach development program
    I cook one in a crockpot about every other week and it turns out pretty good. Cook it fat side up with a little apple cider vinegar and some BBQ sauce. (Enough sauce to cover the meat and leave about half an inch in the bottom of the pot. ).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast