starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October: Roast pork, apples, and grog.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Boston butts are harder to find in my local grocery stores than the picnic shoulder cut with the skin on.

I used to cut it off and feed it to the dog, until I learned that if you leave the skin on and dial up the temperature to 400 or more towards the end, and crisp up the skin, you end up with some delicious cracklings.

Some recipes call for tons of garlic and spice, but I've found it comes out amazing with nothing added.
    I'm with you for the first round. Next up for some of the remainder: carnitas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Grog is 1 part Pusser's Navy Rum, 3 parts water, 1 part lime juice. A man's drink for manly men.
    For manly men in danger of scurvy, that is. Evidently, anybody who didn't *have to drink it* preferred bumbo...
    Bumbo was popular in the Caribbean during the era of piracy, largely because it tasted better than Royal Navygrog.[citation needed]Pirates and short-haul merchantmen did not suffer from scurvy as often as British sailors, largely because their voyages were shorter and their diet included plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. This meant that citrus juice could be dropped from the grog recipe, and sugar and nutmeg sweetened the mix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumbo

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyLips View Post
    Would you say that more Texans look forward to winter rather than summer?
    Most Native Texans and all Native Houstonians look forward to "fall" and "winter" here. Our adopted Texan neighbors from the Mid-west and Northeast tend to look forward to the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes_J View Post
    I cook one in a crockpot about every other week and it turns out pretty good. Cook it fat side up with a little apple cider vinegar and some BBQ sauce. (Enough sauce to cover the meat and leave about half an inch in the bottom of the pot. ).
    I do mine with a little salt and some hickory liquid smoke. I put in in the crockpot on low all night; then in the morning I pour out the grease, pull the pork with forks, and let it go for another half hour. The butt tastes a bit better than the shoulder for this, but they both taste good.

On a hog, the butt is the shoulder. A "pork butt" is a shoulder roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Most Native Texans and all Native Houstonians look forward to "fall" and "winter" here. Our adopted Texan neighbors from the Mid-west and Northeast tend to look forward to the Summer.
    I can't speak for Northeasterners, but any Midwesterners who prefer Summer anywhere need to have their heads examined.

Is Grog best served hot, cold, or room temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    On a hog, the butt is the shoulder. A "pork butt" is a shoulder roast.
    In that case, it's the Boston butt from the IGA that tastes better than the pork shoulder at Safeway

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    I do mine with a little salt and some hickory liquid smoke. I put in in the crockpot on low all night; then in the morning I pour out the grease, pull the pork with forks, and let it go for another half hour. The butt tastes a bit better than the shoulder for this, but they both taste good.
    Maybe you mean bone in vs boneless or just get better meat from the place that calls in a butt?

My butcher calls it a butt and hers are much better quality that what they call a shoulder at the supermarket.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Musser View Post
    Is Grog best served hot, cold, or room temperature?
    I like it on ice, but it's traditionally served at whatever temperature the ship was at.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast