starting strength gym
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex Bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Respectfully... yes, I've read your flippin' book. Several times. I can hit my shins on a pillow filled with marshmallows and they'd bleed. The bar shouldn't hit my shins but nobody executes a perfect deadlift every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit67 View Post

3. There's a website (strengthlevel.com) where lifters can post their lifts. There are over 2 million lifts reported for the deadlift, and 15,000 for the hex bar deadlift. At every bodyweight, in both male and female categories, the hex bar lifts are heavier than the standard deadlift. It's true, many people could be doing the deadlift incorrectly, but I doubt that people have performed over 2 million of them incorrectly.
    People always use the raised handles on the trap bar. If you use the raised handles on a hex bar, then you're just doing a much easier rack pull.

Thank you for your feedback. As they say "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Being fairly new to the forum, I wasn't aware you'd changed your view of the Swiss Bar. Any suggestions on good protection for my shins ?
    Sweat pants.....tall socks.

If you happen to have your English Mastiff gash your shin open with his tooth while playing fetch, put some gauze on the wound and cut a 2-liter coke bottle into a rectangle and slip it in between two pairs of tall socks. But, in having to do that, you are certainly pulling your deadlift wrong.

Thank you for your feedback. As they say "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Being fairly new to the forum, I wasn't aware you'd changed your view of the Swiss Bar. Any suggestions on good protection for my shins ?
    You are likely trying to "Squat" your deadlifts off the ground and probably lowering the same way. This might be why you like the feel of the hex bar because you can do what feels more comfortable to you at the moment. Get it fixed though or your back will be the problem and not the shins.

Thank you... a thoughtful and helpful response.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on several forums.

The Hex Bar, or Trap Bar is not directly comparable with a barbell deadlift, end of discussion.

It is not a replacement for the barbell deadlift.

It is not 'superior', I wouldn't even call it 'inferior', I would look at it as a different lift entirely.

It has been bastardized by coaches over the years with claims of it being 'safer' and allowing a neutral spine position to be achieved more readily. The truth is that these coaches don't have the skills to coach a barbell deadlift properly, or are just too lazy to put the time and effort in.

Respectfully... yes, I've read your flippin' book. Several times. I can hit my shins on a pillow filled with marshmallows and they'd bleed. The bar shouldn't hit my shins but nobody executes a perfect deadlift every single time.
    If you have knee sleeves, you can pull them down over your shins. That works pretty good.

When the hex bar gets heavy, I think you can potentially injure yourself while locking out hyperextending the lumbar spine. I also think you get a little better bang for your buck doing normal deads with squats vs the hex bar and squats. Using the high handles on the hex bar would make it even worse. I also don't really fit in a hex bar, so maybe I am just jaded. :-)

Madmaxaus... Sweeping generalizations don't help anyone.

Thanks Andy. Would that everyone could make helpful and thoughtful comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    2 million deadlifts will be performed incorrectly within the next hour.
    Wow, that many people deadlift?

Any suggestions on good protection for my shins ?
    There is something called the Shock Doctor but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Pull the deadlift correctly, and you won't need any shin protection.
    Now I hesitate to mention them.

starting strength coach development program
    Madmaxaus... Sweeping generalizations don't help anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    The Hex Bar, or Trap Bar is not directly comparable with a barbell deadlift, end of discussion.

It is not a replacement for the barbell deadlift.

It is not 'superior', I wouldn't even call it 'inferior', I would look at it as a different lift entirely.

It has been bastardized by coaches over the years with claims of it being 'safer' and allowing a neutral spine position to be achieved more readily. The truth is that these coaches don't have the skills to coach a barbell deadlift properly, or are just too lazy to put the time and effort in.
    What part of his post would you consider a "sweeping generalization"? Seems pretty accurate to me.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast