starting strength gym
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "these coaches don't have the skills to coach a barbell deadlift properly" is the very definition of a sweeping generalization.

Thank you. Good idea about the knee sleeves, which I do use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit67 View Post
    Madmaxaus... Sweeping generalizations don't help anyone.

Thanks Andy. Would that everyone could make helpful and thoughtful comments.
    What shoes do you wear to deadlift in?

"these coaches don't have the skills to coach a barbell deadlift properly" is the very definition of a sweeping generalization.
    He's absolutely correct, as evidenced by the fact that they have not taught you that a barbell deadlift is not the mechanical equivalent of a trap bar pull.

"These coaches" - that's a sweeping generalization. It's not specific. He can't possibly have critiqued all the coaches he was talking about. It's like saying "these Brits like their beer warm". We don't all like our beer warm. Some Brits don't drink beer. Savvy?

It is not necessary to know every Frenchman to know about Frenchmen. I'm sure you agree with that.

I understand these issues:

-Lockout position
    -Raised handles reducing ROM and changing body angles at the start of the pull

Other than that, can you please explain to me why the hex bar is more like a squat than a deadlift? The force is pulling on the hands, so won't the mechanics be more or less like a rack pull given that you keep the hips in the same position as you would a rack pull?

To brit76: do you focus really hard on not dropping your hips in the setup, and still experience bloody shins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is not necessary to know every Frenchman to know about Frenchmen. I'm sure you agree with that.
    C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre: c'est de la folie - Pierre Bosquet

("It is magnificent, but it is not war: it is madness")

When I first started to dead lift my shins would get tore up too. Then I realized my stance was too wide. Notice how the barbell has two smooth parts on it? That's where your shins should be (most likely).

You say that like it is a bad thing.

What percentage of coaches would you say can teach any of the lifts properly?

Most coaches can't even teach a proper push up or a full depth air squat. from what I can tell.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm happy to say "birds fly", even though penguins exist.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast