starting strength gym
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Hex Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRozon View Post
    No one's experiences are unique, right, but they are to that person and everyone who comes here wants to learn.
    Just not true, Chris. Sorry, I wish it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit67 View Post
    Respectfully, I've read both SS and PP and The Barbell Prescription and have been practicing the SS methods for over a year. I used 5 by 5 long before I encountered SS. Reg Park practiced 5 by 5 back in the 1950's!!

I've actually had over 30 years of experience with weight training but it wasn't until I encountered the writings of Stuart McRobert that I really started seeing results. So when I came to this forum I had 2 years of progressive training using a 5 by 5 system not unlike SS. I had progressed well beyond the beginner stage and was now a solid intermediate.

My initial inquiry said "limited experience and limited intelligence". That was tongue in cheek. I've read dozens of books by old school weight lifters and body builders and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

So I've read the books, watched many of the training videos on the SS website and have made some serious progress of my own.

Anything else???
    Not to pile it one cos it's getting a bit excessive, maybe, but having read something and being able to read something are two completely different things. It sounds awfully ridiculous to summarise my education as "learning how to read", but that's exactly what it is. There's details that can never escape me now that I never would have picked up on before. Similarly, I can easily contrast my own reading abilities to others if and when they're unbelievably undeveloped and notice the difference immediately.

Some old training partner of mine lacks this ability to read and when prompted with a rounding lower back on all of his deadlifts simply concluded that his hamstrings were too weak. This guy had read all of the relevant material and probably more articles and ebooks than I even know are out there, yet he didn't seem to grasp the very simple notion that a failing muscle group is most likely going to be responsible for itself. That is, a rounding lumbar spine is not going to be caused by weak hamstrings. In fact, I observed his form break down and argued that his hammies were "too strong" as they slacked during the setup and then pulled tension off his back on the ascent. He never listened and, to this day two years after, is still deadlifting below 300 with a hips too low, back rounding form issue.

This is a very clear cut example of someone who cannot read, who cannot interpret and analyse information other people have presented him. Seemingly out of desperation to help other people out, I even quoted Rip verbatim on the idea of the war between the hamstrings and erector muscles of the lower back and he still insisted he was right and continued to do accessory work for his "weak hamstrings". Beyond that being someone I simply can't bother to help any more, it's also indicative of no longer being able to help someone. There's a silly saying in Dutch that, when translated, sound something like "why bother with candles and spectacles if the owl will not see" that almost gets to the meat of the argument. You can read all the books and articles and pamphlets and wiki pages and speeches and journals in the world, which is a lot of fucking material, and still be left with nothing if you don't have the ability to interpret the symbols you're scanning with your eyes. How you read is, in relative terms, more important than what you read. Why bother with either of those if the owl cannot see?

Nah, don't misunderstand me. I think you've done an amazing job of setting up a system that works and training people to coach it - we're all still here right?

What I'm saying is that if you're going to have an open forum that invites comments and questions from newbies them you have to expect a lot of repetitive questions. No one's experiences are unique, right, but they are to that person and everyone who comes here wants to learn.
    A quick forum search for either "hex bar deadlift" or "trap bar deadlift" both yield many pages of results. Hell, in a couple minutes of digging, I got to read a 10 year old post from Rip on the Crossfit forum, replying to Mike Burgener, about the trap bar. The search function actually works now, and is available on every page, no matter where you are in the forums. If the OP had referenced a specific post and asked a specific question about an area in this topic that hadn't been discussed and addressed at least 5-10 times here before, I am sure he would have received an entirely different answer and attitude. The lack of respect for Rip's time here and indignation when not treated like a highly original, piercing question was asked, instead of one that has been discussed dozens of times already, gets very old, very quickly.

Nah, don't misunderstand me. I think you've done an amazing job of setting up a system that works and training people to coach it - we're all still here right?

What I'm saying is that if you're going to have an open forum that invites comments and questions from newbies them you have to expect a lot of repetitive questions. No one's experiences are unique, right, but they are to that person and everyone who comes here wants to learn.
    Hex Bar

Let me out it another way.... I'm active on another forum, used to help with moderation, etc. They have an express policy that anyone who comes asking a question, no matter how repetitive or poorly researched, is entitled to the courtesy of a reply as long as they're polite and respectful. Someone will always jump in to graciously go over fundamentals and help the newbie learn how to apply then to their specific situation.

Result? The board has thousands of active members, and most new posters stick around and become productive members of the community. The board has a rep for offering intelligent and gentlemanly discussions.

How long has that board been in existence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think he's very intelligent, he would not understand much of the material presented in the seminar anyway, and I actually think he may be a high school coach.
    I haven't been to your seminar, but I've been to your one day event in Munich, Germany (waste of time and money) and have read all your books (worth the money, and helped me tremendously). I'm having a hard time believing, that intelligence is actually a common barrier in understanding the material you present. This is not meant as an insult, but this stuff is really not that complicated. I think there are other things at play, if someone doesn't understand it (preconceived notions, deliberate obtuseness etc.).

Anyway, accusing people of not being intelligent enough to understand something, is like saying they're too short to reach a bulb in a lamp. It's just a fact, there's nothing they or you can do about it. There is no 'trying harder', if they are really not intelligent enough. If you want to help them, you have to use a simpler explanation. And if you don't, well you don't, no need to insult them of a trait they have no control over.

Of course I'm a precious flower, and very hurt by your statements, so something something unique snowflake.

Let me out it another way.... I'm active on another forum, used to help with moderation, etc. They have an express policy that anyone who comes asking a question, no matter how repetitive or poorly researched, is entitled to the courtesy of a reply as long as they're polite and respectful. Someone will always jump in to graciously go over fundamentals and help the newbie learn how to apply then to their specific situation.

Result? The board has thousands of active members, and most new posters stick around and become productive members of the community. The board has a rep for offering intelligent and gentlemanly discussions.
    This absurd notion that people need be catered to beyond the patience of everyone else becomes even more ridiculous when you go back to the very first pages of this thread where you find that it wasn't anyone else but the OP who started to show a quick temper. People complaining about decency and manners would baffle me if it weren't for the fact I, myself, said that some people cannot see the wood for the trees, no matter how many times the loggers point to it, with or without the proper decorum.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but does your forum feature seperate sections for posters to ask specific people questions?

Repetive questions asked in Training, Programming, and usually even in Jordan and Andy’s boards are met with typically courteous responses, even if they’d been answered numerous times before. The Training and Programming boards operate like a typical forum where anyone can chime in to answer questions.

This is Rip’s personal Q&A. It doesn’t operate the same way, and it’s got 600+ pages in which nearly every possible question has been asked and answered. The sticky even instructs people to search old material to see if they can find the answers they want before posting.

Something to consider.

starting strength coach development program

Lonely hex shaped steel
    Circles me with moment arms
    Not a true deadlift

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast