starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio: How to Build a Home Gym

Default Audio: How to Build a Home Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Just about finished with mine, and thought some details might be helpful.

Rogue Echo colored bumpers are less than $2/lb. My 160 pound set was $295. They are in stock now, which isn't always true.

Birch plywood near me that is labeled and sold as 3/4" ply is (if you read the fine print) only 0.720" (roughly 23/32") thick, and mine is several thousandths thinner. Sometimes my homedepot only has plywood sold as 23/32", which I assume is even thinner. But it all worked out because the 3/4" horse stall mat from Tractor supply was really 0.700 inches thick. So the height difference is only about 1/64, which doesn't feel like a tripping hazard.

I don't recommend that you use birch cabinet-grade plywood for platform material. It is designed to look nice, and that is all -- they do not fill the voids in the plies in the middle, and these will cave the first time a loaded bar is dropped on them. I believe I've pointed this out previously.

Good to know. The "purebond" sold by homedepot has very few voids, at least from my experience cutting up several sheets recently when building furniture. But I recall hearing a lot of dissatisfaction with birch plywood sold in the past and am hoping that in my uncut 4x8 section there aren't voids to cave in. But it's screwed down now so I'm leaving it in place until it gets destroyed.

You'll know pretty soon.

I went to the squat clinic that Dr. Sullivan and Chris lead, and I fell in love with the bar. I thought at first they were standard York bars but they turned out to be a B&R from Rogue (sorry Dr. Sullivan for doubting your equipment)--most of us there thought the bare steel was amazing, little to no chalk needed. All I've ever used are Texas Power Bars (I hate, hate, hate, the Texas squat and bench bars). The regular Texas bar is okay, but man is that knurling aggressive. The B&R, though, oh was that nice.

I'm thankful that Rogue built that to your specifications. I have very little experience with equipment (started lifting 2.5 years ago, and remain at the same gym), but the Rogue stuff makes quality and design apparent.

Great podcast - but I have a question about one thing.

If someone buys used plates, should they bring a scale with them to see how much they weigh? This bring up another problem - buying a well calibrated scale which is expensive.

If you buy used 45 pound plates that weigh different, would you just use micro plates to offset both sides to make sure the load is even on both sides?

I just looked at Rogue and it's about two thousand dollars just for all the plates. Shipping is almost a thousand dollars.

Its insanely hard to find nice used plates like York, in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Panz View Post
    If someone buys used plates, should they bring a scale with them to see how much they weigh?
    Depends on where you buy them. You don't want to piss off the wrong guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Depends on where you buy them. You don't want to piss off the wrong guys.
    If someone had a problem with me weighing the plates then I just wouldn't buy them - ha.

I noticed Austin Baraki has a home gym with what looks like used plates, and there is the SS youtube video of 'how to build a home gym' with another SS coach who built a gym with used plates, do you have any idea if these guys know 100% how much each plate weighs? Or is it not a big deal being off a few pounds.... I imagine it is.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know, Matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast