starting strength gym

Thread: Program switching for older trainee

Default Program switching for older trainee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach,

in your "Practical Programming" book 3rd edition, page. 226, you are writing that "Many older trainees (generally 40s and early 50s) can tolerate a 3-day-per-week schedule for a few weeks..."

I am 43 and wondering if I should continue with 3 workouts per week till the end of SS program or I should switch (shortly) to one of the Models described for special populations. Or this depends on the progress/recovery I will be having, week after week perhaps? If there is an early plateau, should I try getting more recovery time with 1-on-2-off?

Greetings

Is the current program working?

Yes, it is working so far and I am with it for almost ~3 weeks. In my last workout though, things got a bit rough with some reps but still haven't missed any.

I am progressing with 2.5kg on squats and deadlift and thinking to switch to 2kg increments instead. Started very low and still low compared to average lifter (currently squats 60kg, deadlift 90kg). I am 5'11'', started with weight ~161lbs and now ~165lbs.

Greetings

You're not doing the program if you have only gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks. Worry about this instead.

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Ok, thanks.