starting strength gym

Thread: Odd knee popping while squatting - from clubbed feet?

Default Odd knee popping while squatting - from clubbed feet?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip

I've been trying to work around this squatting issue for about a year and a half now and wanted to pitch the problem to you and see if it sounded like anything. I'm 33, 5'11", about 195. I was born with clubbed feet so my left leg is about 1/2 shorter than my right, so I also have mild (~10 degrees) scoliosis. I shimmed my left shoe and started getting my squat into the low 200's when I started having low back pain on one side. I saw a massage/ART guy about it, got treated with hard massage, continued training and haven't had any back pain since. I think what pissed off my back was having most of my weight on my right foot since it's longer, so I tweaked my technique a bit by consciously trying to shift a bit of my weight on the left side. During the time I was being treated, I wasn't able to do the program because work/life was crazy and my sleep was terrible (was eventually diagnosed with silent reflux/sleep apnea), but I still trained about 2x a week and made whatever jumps I could.

Recently work/life has settled down and I've started doing the program again and have been getting an odd pretty loud popping in my Left knee when I squat, usually during the decent.

Current numbers
    squat-185
    press-106
    deadlift-275
    bench-132
    clean-105

It's not painful, but after training when things cool down I get an odd dull burning sensation or (the best way I can describe it) it feels like a knuckle when it's full of fluid/bubbles and needs to pop. I'm mainly worried because it's not necessarily a joint thats popping. It seems to be about the Pes anserinus/medial retinaculum/vastus medialis insertion area. Occasionally this is accompanied by some burning in the upper medial calf also. Does this sound like something to worry about or do you know what it could be? I searched the board and couldn't find anything this specific. I've tried different toe angles and a little wider stance, but it didn't seem to help anything, just hurt my adductors/medialis.

With your medical history, this can't be handled through a board post. Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    With your medical history, this can't be handled through a board post. Where do you live?
    I'm in Seattle.

Find Andrew Jackson SSC. He can help.