starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man dies following chiropractor visit

Default Man dies following chiropractor visit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just a sad observation really but can't help wonder if there only had been some other way of manage / pre-empt / alleviate lower back pain in an aging human ..

Woman arrested on manslaughter after York man dies | Daily Mail Online

He apparently received an upper back adjustment during this treatment, since respiratory control is not included in lumbar vertebral anatomy. Bigger question: Hundreds of millions of people are treated by chiropractors every month. What does this tell you about the likelihood of this happening to any one of them? Whether you think it's bullshit or not, is it really a problem with Chiropractic, or is the media just performing their usual function?

Yeah sadly you have point. Further googling reveals that, according to the same media outlet, apparently deadlifting will cause the spine to snap : Man 'snaps his spine' while doing heavy dead-lift in China | Daily Mail Online

I'll still stick with the deadlift over the chiropractor however.

'Yes, all five of us are adjusted regularly. Our children were all adjusted the day they were born, two were homebirths and I continue to check their spines regularly. There is a saying in chiropractic, 'If the twig is bent so grows the tree'.
    Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Media performing usual function. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Risifrutti View Post
    Yeah sadly you have point. Further googling reveals that, according to the same media outlet, apparently deadlifting will cause the spine to snap : Man 'snaps his spine' while doing heavy dead-lift in China | Daily Mail Online

I've seen this video and it's clear that the man just passed out.

I'll continue doing both. No problems with either.

Ah, DailyMail... not even a reputable media source. Click bait tabloid.

To be fair, they hedged that one, "An X-ray reportedly shows his snapped spine but many says it's not genuine."

Obviously it is very rare to die as a result of chiropractic manipulation, but I've sadly taken care of more than four people who have had strokes/TIAs as a result. Three of them were vertebral artery dissections in healthy adults in their 30s. This is a poorly reported cause of stroke, but more common than generally recognized. (I'm not 40 yet and work at a medium-sized community hospital, to put my own sample in perspective.) I do think chiropractors help a lot of people. In an ideal world, chiropractic would be backed up by good studies, but the only official medical advice I give anyone is to avoid rapid cervical manipulation. The rest of it at least doesn't seem to be harmful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dfclark68 View Post
    Obviously it is very rare to die as a result of chiropractic manipulation, but I've sadly taken care of more than four people who have had strokes/TIAs as a result. Three of them were vertebral artery dissections in healthy adults in their 30s. This is a poorly reported cause of stroke, but more common than generally recognized. (I'm not 40 yet and work at a medium-sized community hospital, to put my own sample in perspective.) I do think chiropractors help a lot of people. In an ideal world, chiropractic would be backed up by good studies, but the only official medical advice I give anyone is to avoid rapid cervical manipulation. The rest of it at least doesn't seem to be harmful.
    If I may, the physical therapy literature approves of the use of high velocity, low amplitude thrust manipulation, however, our practice pattern ensures that we perform cervical ligament and VBI testing prior to the manipulation, and, we only thrust at midrange. Also, of note, joint mobilizations targeting the cervical spine have been shown to be equal in efficacy to HVLAT manipulation without the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast