starting strength gym

Thread: Looking for help: Assistance work to strengthen thoracic spine region?

Default Looking for help: Assistance work to strengthen thoracic spine region?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip, Coaches, et al.

For the last 15 years I've been dealing with herniations of the thoracic spine (@T7-8 & T8-9). For the first 5 years I was in constant pain which required heavy meds, injected, oral, etc. For most of the last 10 years I have been largely asymptomatic. Thank God.

The problem is that whenever I load my back to do barbell squats I become symptomatic again. Takes no more than 120lbs or so. Everybody reading this knows how limiting that is. DB squats have no ill effect on my back, but I cant replace barbell squats with the dumbbell variety and still do the program as intended. My squats would become conditioning work instead of strength training.

So sadly, I've essentially started over again on squats going back to an empty barbell with the intentions of adding 5 lbs at a time to see if I can over time strengthen ancillary muscles to better support my back & spine.

How should I reasonably adjust programming to add assistance work to strengthen the back in other ways? Lat pull downs? Low rows? DB rows?, etc?

What are you deadlifting, and how? Age/weight/height?

I'm 4 years removed from any barbell training after having both left and right shoulder labrum tears repaired in 2013 & 2015. I just restarted the program from scratch. Was hoping the back issue wouldnt be an issue if I started really slow.

Week 1. straight bar deadlift @ 105. No problems with my lower back ever.

I'm nearing 42. 5'11 and 259lbs. Lost 20+lbs since mid August doing conditioning work (walking, kettlebells, sled pushes), and keto. I've had T1 diabetes since I was a kid so the keto helps me with that and to minimize how much insulin I need; I know keto presents training limitations.

You're asking about an assistance exercise for the thoracic spine. Deadlifts are an assistance exercise for the thoracic spine.

I'll keep deadlifting and will report back as warranted. Thanks for the platform!