starting strength gym

Thread: Podcast #56

As mentioned by Jordan in the video, there is eventually a point at which improvements in strength will lead to costly gains in body weight for an endurance athlete. I am an 800m runner and I have recently been wondering where that point might be for me. I am 6'1, weight about 182 lbs, and I have decent (not freakish) genetic ability for middle distance running. A few weeks ago I did 300 x 3 reps for squat and deadlift. Any suggestions for what strength/body weight combination might be optimal for me to shoot for considering my event distance? Or is it simply not an important thing to worry about because the stress of my running training will eventually stall my lifts.

On a side note: Rip, I love what you have said about sprinting being a "simple physics problem" (or something along those lines). Power = Force x velocity, so "get strong and practice sprinting" (I think you also said...). It is baffling how people do not understand this and go so far to overcomplicate what is perhaps the most natural of intense human movements...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
    Any suggestions for what strength/body weight combination might be optimal for me to shoot for considering my event distance? Or is it simply not an important thing to worry about because the stress of my running training will eventually stall my lifts. .
    There are obviously no numbers we can give you. When your strength training begins to interfere with your running, cut back.

Quality as always. The talk about how few people will catch on to this always bums me out. I wish it weren't true, but I know it is. It's like we need some cheesy, drama-pumped reality show about barbell lifting to get the general population interested. Why getting strong as efficiently as possible is seen by people as a "niche" makes very little sense to me.

I remember reading that Ben Johnson used to squat 3x body weight for reps

Quote Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
    It is baffling how people do not understand this and go so far to overcomplicate what is perhaps the most natural of intense human movements...

Thanks.
    Cos if it's simple, virtually anyone can understand and then apply it. This means there are fewer to no excuses left as to why a person isn't performing better than before (not the best, just better). And if this is so, this means the individual is in some way not doing everything they can, even though they perceive themselves as very hard working. It becomes confrontational and many people don't like being told they could be doing better, even by themselves, which explains why they may get defensive and take it out on whoever is making it so simple; it's a transplantation of blame and responsibility onto a third person when, really, it's always on the first person. Add to that the fact that bullshit sells better (and that many people will just not get it at all) and you've entered "tactical fitness" territory.

You're welcome.

This is the best podcast so far. Thank you Rip, Matt, and Jordan.

My favourite part was the discussion about the mental gains made under the bar, particularly during the third set (in the novice SS progression). It made me well up as I am starting to understand this after hitting PRs today in my novice SS progression of 122.5kgs squat and 73.75kgs bench press (and 145kgs deadlift and 47.5kgs press this past Sunday).

I would love to see, hear, and read more about the mental aspects of being under the bar. I think this is the biggest takeaway from the SS novice progression. Make one physically harder, but also mentally harder to kill, in whatever endeavour, even in the corporate office.

Thank you once again and it is an episode I will replay.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyd View Post
    My favourite part was the discussion about the mental gains made under the bar, particularly during the third set (in the novice SS progression). It made me well up as I am starting to understand this after hitting PRs today in my novice SS progression of 122.5kgs squat and 73.75kgs bench press (and 145kgs deadlift and 47.5kgs press this past Sunday).

I would love to see, hear, and read more about the mental aspects of being under the bar. I think this is the biggest takeaway from the SS novice progression. Make one physically harder, but also mentally harder to kill, in whatever endeavour, even in the corporate office.
    With you 100% on this. I work as a psychotherapist and I do not have a single client who I don't believe could benefit from progressive strength training. I have a few teenagers I work with who suffer from anxiety and lack of self confidence. How could getting bigger, stronger, and witnessing regular, measurable improvement in your physical body NOT improve those areas of mental health? I think it has to.

We in the psychotherapy community often recommend exercise like yoga, walking, jogging, etc. Not that these are bad for mental health, they have their place, but I think there's something missing when compared to this type of training. I'm biased, of course. All I know is that it has helped me immensely.

We also know that walking is a great way to stave off mental decline as one ages, but I can't help but believe strength training would be just as if not more beneficial. I hope to see more research in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe3030 View Post
    We also know that walking is a great way to stave off mental decline as one ages, but I can't help but believe strength training would be just as if not more beneficial. I hope to see more research in this area.
    Related:
    Muscles For Memory Pilot Study

starting strength coach development program
    Very cool. Thank you.