starting strength gym

Thread: Nick Delgadillo SSC: Scraped Shins on the Deadlift

Default Nick Delgadillo SSC: Scraped Shins on the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

"Cessation of skin debridement" sounds like a death metal song title.

I've used "scrap the shins" as a reminder to keep the bar close when a trainee lets the bar swing forward when the bar comes off of the floor (after a proper setup). Do you think this is a useful cue?

Perhaps "keep your butt high" would be better. What do you think?

Rippetoe and I discussed this last night. As long as the setup isn't the problem, I think that for some people, telling them to keep the butt high or to pull the bar with the back or butt may work for a bar swinging away. I haven't tried it yet, but there are a few specific folks I know who we're going to test this on.

I've definitely told people to scrape the shins or drag the bar up the shins, and no one should assume we're telling you not to pull the bar into the shins. I'm talking specifically about the problem of ripping skin off the shins which really should never happen.

I like the idea of "keeping the bar on the socks" on the way up. Implies the necessary level of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Rippetoe and I discussed this last night. As long as the setup isn't the problem, I think that for some people, telling them to keep the butt high or to pull the bar with the back or butt may work for a bar swinging away. I haven't tried it yet, but there are a few specific folks I know who we're going to test this on.
    Ok. That makes a lot of sense. I have found good success with the "keep your butt high" cue. It seems to counteract the mental image of the deadlift as a squat with the bars in the hands as opposed to something totally different. It also seems to be extremely versitile. I have noticed when my clients who have problems "squatting" the bar down after the deadlift and having it ride their thighs hear "keep your butt high", they'll put the bar down with a vertical bar path. "Put the bar down fast" seems to work, but not as well. I haven't had many clients, but that's my experience.

And here I thought I was doing something wrong because my shins didn't get beat up....

Live and learn. Die and forget it all.

You know, you can solve this problem pretty easily just by using a trap bar...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    You know, you can solve this problem pretty easily just by using a trap bar...
    I thought about saying it. Better that you did.