starting strength gym

Thread: Training and tree work

Default Training and tree work

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I recently saw a Youtube video where you discussed how someone with a 500lb deadlift will have an easier time laying bricks all day, then someone who just lays bricks all day. I know this has been contested, by the tradespeople out there, but here is my story. I have been following the SSLP model for about three months, with the hopes of hitting the 300, 400, 500 milestone. I am at the tail-end of my LP and will be moving on to an intermediate program soon. In the past I have followed programs, that did not contain enough volume and had too much "conditioning." These programs produced little results. I am also in law enforcement, so I do not have a physically demanding job, like construction or laying bricks, so I do not get "conditioned" at work.

Every fall, I cut, haul, split (with a maul), and stack enough firewood to off set the cost of heating with oil. I'm not entirely sure how much wood I gather, but my guess is a little less then a cord. In the past this has taken me two days, because I would break often due to fatigue. Yesterday, I got the entire job done in about 6 hours. Despite, not doing any "cardio" I found I had more energy for the physically demanding task. I did the job faster, because I could handle more work. For example, I could carry more logs to the UTV, which reduced the amount of time I spent walking back and forth. I noticed how much easier it was to split logs. In the past, a decent size log would have taken me several swings. I would often need to rest for several minutes after each log. Yesterday, most logs only required one swing, and I basically did this non-stop for 30 minutes.

In the past, when I finished the job, I would shower, eat, and then spend the rest of the night watching TV and drinking beers, because I was tired. Yesterday, I was a little tired, but I ended up going hunting for a couple hour and then I had beers. Even today, my arms are a little tense, but otherwise I feel fine and I plan on training later Last year, I didn't train for days due to back and arm soreness. There is no doubt that yesterday's work was much easier then in past years, due to my increase strength levels. There is also no doubt that the increase in my strength has conditioned me to handle more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Willk87 View Post
    I recently saw a Youtube video where you discussed how someone with a 500lb deadlift will have an easier time laying bricks all day, then someone who just lays bricks all day. I know this has been contested, by the tradespeople out there,
    Only by those tradespeople who will not train.

I'm in the trades, and from what I've seen most tradesmen do not lift. Some do, but it's easier to find a runner than a lifter.

I've heard, "who has the energy to workout after a hard day on the jobsite?" True, it's not easy. But the more you train, the easier your day on the job becomes. And who doesn't want an easier day at work? I know I do. And I know that getting my squat and deadlift up makes sheets of plywood feel a lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHupfer View Post
    I'm in the trades, and from what I've seen most tradesmen do not lift. Some do, but it's easier to find a runner than a lifter.

I've heard, "who has the energy to workout after a hard day on the jobsite?" True, it's not easy. But the more you train, the easier your day on the job becomes. And who doesn't want an easier day at work? I know I do. And I know that getting my squat and deadlift up makes sheets of plywood feel a lot lighter.
    Rip probably has had a similar experience to this, and probably all of us who work with the public have heard this... Trades people are often the hardest people to convince to lift, because they always tell you, "my job is like being at the gym."

I suppose that's fine, but what about when they are in the hospital flat on their backs because of a back spasm and they are still think you're ridiculous for telling them they have to lift? Their job is their gym, so their back spasm couldn't possibly be caused be weak back muscles. You're now the biggest idiot they ever met, and further you're incompetent. Despite the fact that their xrays, an mri and a neurosurgery consult have revealed no structural problems, you're obviously missing something.

Even worse, their MRI shows bulging discs, and you want them to squat and deadlift.

Narrowcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Even worse, their MRI shows bulging discs, and you want them to squat and deadlift.

Narrowcasting.
    I recommend surgery as a matter of course, because early back surgery has a proven track record for amazing clinical outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    I recommend surgery as a matter of course, because early back surgery has a proven track record for amazing clinical outcomes.
    Heh.

starting strength coach development program
    Fuck, I wish I'd appreciated this before I had mine.

Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    Heh.
    Pluripotent is pleased to be sarcastic.