starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill, baby, drill (holes in a belt)

Default Drill, baby, drill (holes in a belt)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, Coach

I didn't want to co-opt the recent thread by Mr. Herschlag, but I noticed he mentioned the problem of almost outgrowing your belt. In the past, I've dealt with the same issue in the reverse direction where the final belt hole was not tight enough to offer any benefit to wearing the belt. To combat this, rather than buy a new belt in a smaller size (something I couldn't really do because of my belt position on the deadlift and taking two belts to the gym seems silly without a car or large gym bag), I simply drilled a hole in my belt about the same distance and size as the others as if continuing the series of holes, myself. I later did this again. And then again a third time. Ultimately, I outgrew even that hole and only then bought a new belt in a smaller size, which now works fine even for the deadlift.

This process worked fine, but I only did this on a cheapo belt. Somehow I doubt you'd take kindly to craftsmanship getting butchered in this way, so I'll specify my question. Do you see any problem with performing this operation on any belt not made to order or any belt in the wrong size, preferably those on the lower end of the price range? I figured it wouldn't kill the overall durability of the belt if I drilled one, two, or even three holes, but I started to have my doubt at the fourth one for reasons solely arbitrary, not based on experience, and possibly related to the numerology handed down by the Bible where the number three is an important recurring digit. I have to say I anticipate a "just buy a quality belt to order cos they're not that expensive", but a poor man's gotta do what a poor man's gotta do, y'all.

I have added holes to belts of all prices. What is the alternative? Throw away a perfectly good belt? Just be careful and do a good job of centering the new holes and shaping them correctly.

If you already have a drill, fine. Use that. If you don't have one, a hole punch is cheaper. In addition to centering and shaping any new holes, make sure they are not too close together. Otherwise the prong of the buckle can collapse the side of the new hole to the previous one if too not spaced adequately.

There are people who don't modify their gear? I've drilled lots of holes. That's what happens when you train teenage girls and X small isn't small enough and adult men where X large doesn't give them any "breathing" room.

I've drilled holes in my belt. It works well if you're not stupid about it.

Don't be afraid of modifying your equipment (within certain reason; don't fuck with your bar).
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

It's your belt, do what you want. Even if it's a nice belt, it's still a tool, not a piece of art. If you want someone to do a better job than you're likely to do yourself with a drill, find a cobbler. I had one put three or four more holes in my belt for a few bucks. They were nice and pretty.

Also, just buy a good belt. Because, you know, they're not that expensive.

I have an older Inzer 2-prong belt that needed additional holes a few months back and I took it to a local shoe/leather repair shop. That guy did an OK job of adding (3) pair of holes. His biggest punch was a bit smaller than the original hole size, but it still functions fine. Might be an option for those who don't have the capacity to drill holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    If you already have a drill, fine. Use that. If you don't have one, a hole punch is cheaper. In addition to centering and shaping any new holes, make sure they are not too close together. Otherwise the prong of the buckle can collapse the side of the new hole to the previous one if too not spaced adequately.
    That's why the proper shape is an oval. Punches this shape are available.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's why the proper shape is an oval. Punches this shape are available.
    In my limited experience, I've never seen oval holes. Maybe someone should tell the belt makers this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast