starting strength gym

Thread: Why is Rip so frustrated?

Angry Why is Rip so frustrated?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip, I think I finally get why you're frustrated beyond belief with the fitness community. Maybe I'm slow for not figuring it out sooner.

For context, I just got out of the Army and am about to finish my "ACE" personal trainer cert (can't make it to one of your seminars 'til next year). I just finished their chapter on "Functional Programming for Stability-Mobility Training." Holy fucking shit, getting through the layers of silly bullshit was more difficult than reading medieval French literature in its original form.

I don't want to post their stuff here without permission, so I'll settle for a general description. Apparently, a correct squat is done above parallel, with the SHIN ANGLE BEING EQUAL TO THE BACK ANGLE! This is so important that it REQUIRES VERIFICATION USING WOODEN DOWELS! As if that was more important than balancing over the middle of the foot! The images they use to explain the squat ONLY SHOW ONE PLANE OF MOVEMENT! The entirety of the squat is given only HALF A PAGE of explanation! Who did they get to write this chapter? Who the fuck edited this shit? I'm pissed that they CHARGE MONEY FOR THIS INFORMATION!

If I had to witness such a decline in the fitness industry's standards of practice over a 40+ year period, I'd be frustrated too. Now that I understand at least part of your frustration, I think you've shown remarkable restraint!

Happy to be the Voice Of Reason here.

Having done tech support for most of my adult life, endlessly having to tell people what's already in the manual (in this case, SSBBT and/or PPST3) results in a steady and inexorable progression towards a state of depressive sociopathy unless vented outwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam A View Post
    I think you've shown remarkable restraint!
    I'd suggest rather than restraint it's being wise enough to not waste the energy trying to convince stupes who absolutely will not be convinced. That energy is much better spent putting out quality material for consumption by those who are willing to think and reason logically about the subject. Best of luck making it through your "studies".

The NSCA released a 'comprehensive review' of the squat (how to do it, correctives, etc.) that include some of the same 'back/shin angle must be the same' 'spine must be neutral while one model is in neutral-ish and one is in clear hyperextension' nonsense. One of the study's authors (the non-academic brought on to provide a powerlifter's legitimacy to the enterprise) came on this forum, ranted for a bit, and challenged people to e-mail him their criticisms.

I did. Rip is correct. If given the choice between making a clear case or masking the achievement of a task in inapplicable complexity, they almost always choose complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Gotcher View Post
    If given the choice between making a clear case or masking the achievement of a task in inapplicable complexity, they almost always choose complexity.
    Yes. Many experts in all fields typically resort to the "baffle them with bullshit" argument.

I find myself engaging less and less over time with the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam A View Post
    Coach Rip, I think I finally get why you're frustrated beyond belief with the fitness community. Maybe I'm slow for not figuring it out sooner.

For context, I just got out of the Army and am about to finish my "ACE" personal trainer cert (can't make it to one of your seminars 'til next year). I just finished their chapter on "Functional Programming for Stability-Mobility Training." Holy fucking shit, getting through the layers of silly bullshit was more difficult than reading medieval French literature in its original form.

I don't want to post their stuff here without permission, so I'll settle for a general description. Apparently, a correct squat is done above parallel, with the SHIN ANGLE BEING EQUAL TO THE BACK ANGLE! This is so important that it REQUIRES VERIFICATION USING WOODEN DOWELS! As if that was more important than balancing over the middle of the foot! The images they use to explain the squat ONLY SHOW ONE PLANE OF MOVEMENT! The entirety of the squat is given only HALF A PAGE of explanation! Who did they get to write this chapter? Who the fuck edited this shit? I'm pissed that they CHARGE MONEY FOR THIS INFORMATION!

If I had to witness such a decline in the fitness industry's standards of practice over a 40+ year period, I'd be frustrated too. Now that I understand at least part of your frustration, I think you've shown remarkable restraint!
    I looks like it is much worse in States than it is in Europe. I did my cert in Ireland and i accually learned about Starting Strength from one of the tutors. I learned how to deadlift and squat the right way and learned about the importance of strength training. I believe if there was more emphasis on Europe, the Starting Strength community would really kickoff here. For example i was born and raised in Poland and in the 90's and early 2000's gyms were so popular that i started lifting in the gym in my local church I think it was all thanks to Mariusz Pudzianowski the several world strongest man winner.
    I also understand Rips frustration, it is difficult to deal with idiots who refuse to spend few hours to read a book or an article to educate themselfs, but the only option is to forget about them and concentrate on those who are intelligent enough to learn and do something constructive with their lives. It takes an intelligent and determined person to really push themselfs and change their lives for the better. If anyone could do it we would be living in a pefrect and peaceful world full of healthy and happy people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajtar View Post
    If anyone could do it we would be living in a pefrect and peaceful world full of healthy and happy people.
    I, too, share Rip's dream that in the future we will all look amazing in spandex.