starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting with compression fracture in lumbar spine - belt recommended?

Question Lifting with compression fracture in lumbar spine - belt recommended?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,

In 2006 I had a skiing accident which resulted in a compression fracture in the lumbar spine. L1 collapsed a few mm on the anterior side and looks a little like a trapezoid. I didn’t need surgery and only did PT for a few weeks. Since then I never really had any serious problems with this injury. On days with lots of physical work or lazy posture when sitting I feel that “it is there”, but never any pain.

I started my NLP a few weeks ago and progress is good so far. In your article “The belt and the deadlift” you mention that for some people with chronic back injuries it might be a good idea to always use one above 60 kg. I got my belt (4") a few days ago and have only done one session with it so far (which went really well). The session before that I felt pain in my back for the first time after doing squats (107kg). I record all my working sets and these didn’t look any different. I still felt it 3 days later, but after squatting (108,5kg) and deadlifting (118,5kg) with the belt I didn’t feel any pain at all (both during and after training).

Based on your experience: would you in my situation recommend the belt only for the working sets (and maybe last warm up set) or for all squats and DLs above 60kg (and OHP above let's say 45 kg)? My limited experience suggests the second option. Thanks. Greetings from Austria.

Stats:
    (28 years old, 183 cm (6ft),91 kg (200 lbs))
    My current working weights:
    Squat (111kg), Deadlift (118.5 kg, all the plates I currently have), BP (73 kg), OHP (52 kg)

For some people with chronic back injuries it might be a good idea to always use one above 60 kg. This may be you. Try it and see.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Unless you have an abnormally long torso, you may also want to invest in a 3 inch belt--especially with a pre-existing back issue. It's pretty rare for a 6 foot person with typical proportions to effectively use a 4 inch belt for deadlifting.

Thank you for your reply. Upon further reflection I think I will use the belt for weights above 70% of my current working weight (70% x 111kg = 78 kg) for a few weeks and see how that goes. Given that I had no issues until squatting about 107 kg this strategy should theoretically work until my working weight is about 153 kg. Seems like a good compromise.

Here's a better idea: use the belt for weights above 60 kg, just in case.

Got it. The more conservative approach it is. Better safe than sorry. Are there any drawbacks to this approach in the long-term? Not getting hurt is probably worth it.

Unless you have an abnormally long torso, you may also want to invest in a 3 inch belt--especially with a pre-existing back issue. It's pretty rare for a 6 foot person with typical proportions to effectively use a 4 inch belt for deadlifting.
    I have only deadlifted once with the belt so far (which went well for what is worth). I think I need a few more sessions to judge if the smaller belt is really necessary. It probably is. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    For some people with chronic back injuries it might be a good idea to always use one above 60 kg. This may be you. Try it and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's a better idea: use the belt for weights above 60 kg, just in case.
    So...I'm a little confused...should he use a belt at 60 kg, or some other number set >60 kg based off some random criteria specified by a suspected novice? I don't think it has been spelled out clearly enough. Please clarify.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    So...I'm a little confused...should he use a belt at 60 kg, or some other number set >60 kg based off some random criteria specified by a suspected novice? I don't think it has been spelled out clearly enough. Please clarify.
    A belt for 60 kg and everything above independent of the current working weight.