starting strength gym

Thread: One for the good guys (Severe Scoliosis)

Default One for the good guys (Severe Scoliosis)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach Rip,

Just wanted to share some feedback I got from a physician over here in NZ. I have always experienced some discomfort in the left-lumbar area of my back most likely due to being cursed with pretty sever scoliosis Back - Album on Imgur. The left spinal erector has has been underdeveloped for as long as I can remember and the curve is visible. Barbell training has helped me develop the left side considerably. It is my belief that barbell training is the best thing I can do for myself, but I thought I would do some diligence and reach out to the medical community. I've seen physical therapists (utterly useless), Chiropractor (helpful, but no permanent results), and finally had an MRI done to see if there were any nerve impingement type issues. I sit at a desk all day and find I get nerve sensations in my abdomen when I have gone walking for 10+ minutes. It dulls out after about 40 min of walking, when I hike, for example.

Upon first consulting with the MRI doc she was not impressed about my stories of Deadlifting and loading my back via squats. But after review her comments below. I did my first IPF meet last weekend for practice with the intention of putting up my goal numbers in March 2018.

I would also like to add that I am an SSOC client of the fabulous Niki "the Valkryie" Sims. She is the bees knees.

Thanks for all you've done in building this SS community. I am doing what I can to spread the word down here in Hobbit-land.

"I have reviewed Lee today regarding his MRI of his low back. His blood tests were normal with the HLA-B27 still pending but CRP and rheumatoid factors were normal. There is a small focus of intermediate T2 signal particularly in the left sacroiliac joint with a similar appearance on the right but no obvious joint effusion. Otherwise his pelvis appears normal.

Lee has come in with photos and stories of his powerlifting competition on the weekend and we have had a long discussion today around the altered mechanics of his low back and sacroiliac joint due to his scoliosis. I think this is no doubt causing the pain that he intermittently experiences but actually by doing his strength training in a controlled measured fashion while making sure his core stability is optimal, I actually think he is preventing further problems as long as he continues on a path of improvement. We have discussed that he has increased risk of developing back problems down the track but actually keeping fit and healthy and no overweight while he is doing what he is doing, it is probably more beneficial than becoming inactive and overweight. I haven't arranged to see him again but would be happy to if things were to flare and have wished him all the best for his upcoming strength training and lifting competition.

Yours sincerely
    Dr Sarah XXXXX
    SPORT AND EXERCISE PHYSICIAN
    "

Ever Grateful, Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchthrilla View Post
    We have discussed that he has increased risk of developing back problems down the track but actually keeping fit and healthy and no overweight while he is doing what he is doing, it is probably more beneficial than becoming inactive and overweight.
    Probably.

Still a small victory from a glass half full perspective!? "Gimps unite!", I say, and be the change the medical community needs to see!

It is not our job to reform the medical community. It is the medical community's job to be prepared to effectively do their job, which they have not done.

In 1977 or 1978 I was told I had scoliosis after taking the physical prior to hire. (I was also told I had some other stuff I had never heard of back then.)

I thought they were just trying to weed out another candidate whose father or brother wasn't on the job since I was competing in Shotokan karate, running, rock climbing and lifting weights regularly.

My uncle, who was an NYPD officer told me to go with the feds and that's what I ended up doing. 40 years later I'm still lifting and active and have never let the scoliosis stop me despite the occasional twinge in neck or back.

I guess it never stopped Lamar Gant either, and his scoliosis was much more apparent. (Plus he's about three times stronger than I've ever been.)

And so it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is not our job to reform the medical community. It is the medical community's job to be prepared to effectively do their job, which they have not done.
    The medical community, for the most part is lost. It will take a reset button to fix anything here. To much money, government, and misinformation.

starting strength coach development program
    Great to read this today. I have mild thoracic scoliosis.

About 10 years ago, I got a new physician (he retired 5 years later, sniff). He saw that I was crooked and asked if I was in any pain. I told him that maybe once a year I would get a wicked spasm in my left trap. I also told him that I had started strength training (took a long hiatus since then). He encouraged me to keep up the strength training.

He said something to the effect of "the stronger your back is, the better off you will be." Some physicians, out there, have figured this out.