starting strength gym

Thread: Ancient Silly Bullshit

Default Ancient Silly Bullshit

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My wife found this for me and I thought you and the collective would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Cabinet of Byzantine Curiosities: Strange Tales and Surprising Facts from History's Most Orthodox Empire
    "In his Treatise on What Sort of Person a King Should Be, the philosopher Nikephoros Blemmydes (thirteenth century) questioned the usefulness of games used in military training, such as skillful moves in polo matches. Trainers apparently believed that this made soldiers more dexterous, and he refers to an exercise in which they had to jump around on one leg standing on an inflated sack, trying to balance on it (in PG 642: 173)."
    It amuses me when people try to sell modern 'functional fitness' equipment as being novel, new, something never seen or thought of before, when it's basically just a new wrapping on ancient Bosu-ball silliness.

Amazing, that 8 centuries ago a philosopher correctly assessed the training/practice model of physical preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Amazing, that 8 centuries ago a philosopher correctly assessed the training/practice model of physical preparation.
    Funny, too, that none of the trainers heeded his wisdom. Sounds familiar.

Polo, eh? To think. Maybe the Afghans were on to something with buzkashi. Functional prep for rugby?

At least they had a valid excuse: the barbell had not been invited yet.