starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Take This as a Positive Sign: A Major D1 Football Program Squatting!

Default Let's Take This as a Positive Sign: A Major D1 Football Program Squatting!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,
    I agree with what you say about training big time college athletes: they are genetic freaks, and virtually any strength program will be effective for them (not us however). And I smirk, actually laugh, when people share stories about major D1 programs and their "strength coaches".

So I may be wrong, but I am taking this as a positive. An article and video about how Georgia's S&C coach emphasizes squats as the foundation of their strength program. Revolutionary! Who knew! Apparently this makes news and merits a feature on CBS Sports.

There is no footage to judge depth or form, but they unfortunately appear to be looking straight up as they come out of the hole. The bright spot is that this guy sounds sincere when he says squats are the foundation of the team's strength program.

Forgive me if this doesn't automatically link to the article and video:
    WATCH: Georgia Strength and Conditioning Director Scott Sinclair likes 'to squat them heavy'

But he doesn't seem to understand the difference between squats, front squats, and overhead squats, and he doesn't seem to understand the relationship between training loads, volume, and strength. Maybe he thinks 100 air squats is strength training. He really needs to come to our seminar. Maybe the school would pay for it.

Here's a 600 half-squat by UGA RB Nick Chubb:

Instagram

The S&C's conception of a "squat" is wrong.

Hey! At least he's squatting, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hey! At least he's squatting, right?
    It's like thanking the tenth car that almost didn't stop to run you over as you're trying to cross the street. "Thanks, guy. At least you didn't try to kill me like the nine previous cars were bent on doing."

Default I hope D1 doesn't catch on

My kid is a freshman in high school football (season just ended). I would assess that he is not a genetic freak. His opportunity to advance (to D1 football for example) is dependent on his strength, size, desire and training relative to field. He has reasonable, size, desire and training. If he's a freak or not his strength becomes the vector that he can change the most and it therefor becomes the place where he can make the largest "differential advantage".

Going into freshman year football, he was squatting work sets of 300 lbs. At 5'10", 200 lbs, he faced 260 lb opponents, double teams and triple teams all year. As an offensive and defensive lineman, he dominated. I attribute his enormous success to Starting Strength (thank you, thank you, thank you!).

I am attempting to "do the impossible" by pulling his teammates into the deep end of the pool (SS) while not drawing the ire of his coaching staff (wish me luck!). I have willing kids and parents but a football program that has a "D1 lifting program" in place. Any lifting program will make these kids stronger but why not use the best? Just as my son has made enormous gains on the field, the team can significantly change the outcome of their season. Strong is Good and Starting Strength is the best/most efficient way to Get Strong.

I hope D1 football doesn't "get it"... at least until my son and his teammates are through .

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    Here's a 600 half-squat by UGA RB Nick Chubb:

Instagram

The S&C's conception of a "squat" is wrong.
    I was curious about the time stamp of that video. I see it was from July. I was hoping it was just before November 11th. I had a theory about correlation: #1 ranked UGA squats high, then loses to Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by GammaFlat View Post
    I hope D1 football doesn't "get it"... at least until my son and his teammates are through .
    Kind of my general thoughts on the issue. Why are we encouraging others to do SS? I mean, virtually the only reason I can lift more than virtually anyone else is because they are not training at all, or doing some silly bullshit or running or something. Why mess with that? I mean, there's a guy I work with who is naturally huge, but somehow seems impressed with my squat. He runs and does triathlons. But even despite this, if you put the two of us side by side, you'd think he's the lifter. So, I'm actually going to teach this fucker to squat?! Fuck that! I like lifting more than him, even though I know if he put any energy into it at all, he'd probably double all my lifts in like three months. And I'm such a moron, I actually told him that once! All you other fuckers who are actually DTFP are either already pushing more weights than me or soon going to be. Enough working against myself. I'm going to start being a serious bosu ball advocate from now on. I recommend you get some large rubber bands and an ankle weight set. And don't forget to hydrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Why are we encouraging others to do SS?
    I get the sentiment, as I like being stronger than other people. But I live in a rundown community that is overloaded with radically obese individuals. It's depressing/frustrating to see them laboriously take that big step onto the bus, or waiting for the sidewalk to clear so I can get around them as they shuffle down the street. This board is full of testimonials of people just like that who reclaimed their lives.

In other words, it's not just your competition on the playing field or at the club that would be doing SS.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyLips View Post
    I get the sentiment, as I like being stronger than other people. But I live in a rundown community that is overloaded with radically obese individuals. It's depressing/frustrating to see them laboriously take that big step onto the bus, or waiting for the sidewalk to clear so I can get around them as they shuffle down the street. This board is full of testimonials of people just like that who reclaimed their lives.

In other words, it's not just your competition on the playing field or at the club that would be doing SS.
    I thought it would be obvious that most of that was tongue in cheek. In reality, I usually can't stop myself from being somewhat evangelical. Not that it helps at all. For instance, I'm pretty sure triathlon dude wouldn't suddenly start doing the program, no matter what I say about it. He knows what he's doing. But then, whenever I talk to people about lifting, they always end up telling me all the things they do that I should be doing. Yesterday one dude told me you need to do calf exercises on leg day...always! Because otherwise you'll have big thighs and skinny calves. I actually do have big thighs and skinny calves, so why the hell would he listen to me about leg day. He does lots of stuff on the leg press, which probably is mostly a waste of time for him.

Another girl I talked to about it really likes her trainer, and she's doing all kinds of crossfit type stuff. She keeps telling me I need to do pistol squats or something like that, because you really feel it!

So far the only person I've been able to convince to do the program is my wife. But I off loaded that as soon as I could because I was afraid she'd just get mad at me and go back to pilates and yoga, which she likes, but it never did anything for her, really. Now I got her a coach. Her butt is starting to become quite spectacular, and I didn't want to risk a regression.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast