starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbbell Snatches

Default Dumbbell Snatches

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For the longest time, ever since I started the program, my clean is horrendous. I’ve hired coaches and I’ve worked on it myself but i always end up ditching it. Lately I’ve been doing dumbbell snatches and feel comfortable. Does the dumbbell version have any carry over and benefit? Thank you

Probably not, since the weights are so light.

Occasionally I coach people who don't have any contraindications to cleans but are simply thoroughly unathletic and/or uncoordinated to the point that cleans can't be performed with heavy enough weight to drive any kind of adaptation, AND who also still really want to do the cleans anyway, despite their lack of aptitude for them. This is fine. What I usually do is have them do chins as the primary "5th lift" in the program (understanding that chins aren't a true main lift and don't progress in the same way), and do their light cleans between sets of chins. The cleans are usually light enough that doing them between chin sets doesn't really negatively effect the chins, and anyway, you can just make sure to take enough rest. If you really have a lot of time, you can do the cleans after the chins, though most people seem to be too busy for that length of workout.

Dumbbell snatches, for you, probably play a similar role. They're not heavy enough to actually drive much, if any, adaptation, but if you really like them more than cleans and can do them competently enough, throw some sets in between chin sets if it makes you feel better and like you're doing something more athletic.

We're not cheerleaders and won't try to sell feelings over physiology, but if adding something small like this increases adherence and motivation and doesn't detract from the actual necessary work that's causing the adaptation, what the hell. Go for it.

The problem is often that people want to throw in lots of things that DO detract from the actual necessary work. Doing a few sets of doubles or triples in the dumbbell snatch between your chin sets that still have 5 mins rest is probably OK. 99.9% of the things people want to do in this vein, not so much.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-17-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Mention of power snatches with a barbell, usually the first alternate exercise to consider if cleans aren't feasible, is conspicuously absent.

Have you tried them? If not, why not? They would certainly be better stimulus than a dumbbell snatch.

Probably because the power clean is easier to perform than the power snatch, and the OP can't power clean competently, even after coaching. Not due to some kind of specific anthropometry issue like long forearms, but he just can't do it. He didn't mention if he worked with an SSC or not, but let's just take for granted for a minute that his coaching on the clean was competent, and he simply lacks the coordination and athleticism to do it well. The power snatch is more technically difficult, with more things that can go wrong over a greater ROM. It's an alternative for the clean when anthropometry or a wrist issue prevents racking the clean, but as even more difficult lift, is not a viable substitute for someone not coordinated enough to clean.

The DB snatch, on the other hand, is much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Probably because the power clean is easier to perform than the power snatch, and the OP can't power clean competently, even after coaching. Not due to some kind of specific anthropometry issue like long forearms, but he just can't do it. He didn't mention if he worked with an SSC or not, but let's just take for granted for a minute that his coaching on the clean was competent, and he simply lacks the coordination and athleticism to do it well. The power snatch is more technically difficult, with more things that can go wrong over a greater ROM. It's an alternative for the clean when anthropometry or a wrist issue prevents racking the clean, but as even more difficult lift, is not a viable substitute for someone not coordinated enough to clean.

The DB snatch, on the other hand, is much easier.
    Bingo

starting strength coach development program
    What do you mean by "bingo"?