starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slower Progression for an Underweight Male

Default Slower Progression for an Underweight Male

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark and everyone else,

Just wondering how much slower initial progression should be for someone just starting out that is very underweight?

Starting Strength 3rd Edition outlines what progression should look like for the target demographic of a male between the ages of 18 - 35, with a starting bodyweight of 160 - 175. I am a 27 year old male, 5 foot 11 inches, and weigh 125 pounds (very underweight i know). My starting weights are 45 pounds for squat and deadlift, 30 pounds for press. Should I be shooting for 5 pound jumps for my squat and deadlifts to start or should i still be shooting for 10 pound jumps the first few sessions? I am thinking i should just stick with 5 pound jumps for squats but progress deadlifts by 10 pounds for a few workouts to get it ahead of my squat.

My diet and sleep will be on point.

Also just want to take a minute to thank you Mark for all of the information you have made available through your website, videos online, and books. I am confident starting strength is exactly what i need to get myself to a normal, strong, respectable, and healthier physical state and it has been a huge help having such a clear and simple path outlined on how to get myself stronger without any stupid, over complicated BS.

Thank you,

Thanks for the kind words. Here is your post from 5 years ago: Flexibilty limitations when starting to train, is it ok?

Quote Originally Posted by linkin90 View Post
    Greetings all, so I am coming off a long layoff and want to use your program to get back into lifting and build my strength back up. Anyway i have noticed that I am probably not as flexible as i should be and it affects my squat form. For instance i can reach proper depth but at the expense of rounding my lower back when i get low enough. Also i do not have the shoulder flexibilty to keep the bar in the proper position on my back with straight wrists (they bend back a bit). I know i must stretch but my question is should I start the program now (im eager) or should i take a few weeks to work on my flexibilty first to ensure my form is right. Im thinking if i start now the weight will be light enough so i wont hurt myself and doing the excersises will actually help my flexibilty along with stretching? What do you think Mark? Thank you to anyone for any replies much appreciated.
    What happened? The advice now is the same: Do The Program. As written in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Here is your post from 5 years ago: Flexibilty limitations when starting to train, is it ok?

What happened? The advice now is the same: Do The Program. As written in the books.
    Let this be a lesson to all: "taking a few weeks to work on ____" almost always ends the same way. 5 years later and you are still crippled from analysis paralysis.

You could make the argument that you have so much potential for growth, you may actually be able to make faster progress. But instead of trying to optimize and stalling, just do the program. In the absence of a coach, just sticking to 5lb increments will work fine. It's far easier to not get stuck than it is to get unstuck.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Its funny, i forgot i had an account here, logged in today and saw that post and thought the same thing, that I failed so bad at this 5 years ago. I have no excuses, i did not stick to it and stopped. I was an idiot and now i am an older, slightly less of an idiot.

I was pointing out, that as written in the book your progression model assumes your in the specific demographic mentioned in my original post. My assumption is that the model for anyone not in that demographic is a slower approach to progression. Ah dammit i will just follow the book, see how it goes, and then slow it down as needed later on in the program.

Thanks again.

There is a section on this in Practical Programming but the basic answer is to gain weight fast and do the program. I would recommend a GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), broken up into 5-6 20oz servings with three whole meals as well as supplementation with whey to get up to 200g of protein.

I was 135lbs and 6'1" this time last year and currently 210 right now. You just have to eat a lot and train. If you eat enough then you will not have to taper the program in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by linkin90 View Post
    Its funny, i forgot i had an account here, logged in today and saw that post and thought the same thing, that I failed so bad at this 5 years ago. I have no excuses, i did not stick to it and stopped. I was an idiot and now i am an older, slightly less of an idiot.

I was pointing out, that as written in the book your progression model assumes your in the specific demographic mentioned in my original post. My assumption is that the model for anyone not in that demographic is a slower approach to progression. Ah dammit i will just follow the book, see how it goes, and then slow it down as needed later on in the program.

Thanks again.
    Dude, sometimes you just have to dive right in, consequences be damned. Quit this dipping your toes in the water to test the temperature stuff. The worst thing that is going to happen is you are going to get bigger and stronger.

You can do it, man. Just stick to it. Give it a few months at least, work through the problems, and you'll be very happy with the intended and unintended consequences.

You're going to need a small shovel for all the peanut butter that's going to go into your face.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Severely underweight males like you are often times physical idiots. That was my experience from teaching squats to few of them.

I'd take 5 pound jumps, lose abs ASAP, and post form on forums.

starting strength coach development program
    The amount of progress I’ve made at the age of 43 on this program in just under 3 months is amazing. The progress you could have made over the last 5 years would have been unworldly.

Stop worrying about all the what if’s and just DTFP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast