starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnesium Carbonate Chalk - why is one brand lousy and another great?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? Are you applying chalk directly to the bar, rather than on your hands? If so, that's generally not helpful.
    You haven't ever lifted after Doug! I have to admit I should have been clearer here. I use special "squat handles" that I have made because I have lost (now 3) disc space in my C-spine and I can't reach back far enough to grab the bar without severe shoulder pain. The handles are aluminum and putting chalk directly on them really helps get rid of the Doug on the handles. Yes, I do chalk my hands pretty much between every lift. Just cuz. I even chalk my shirt. I don't have to chalk the bar for presses or dead lifts--just on our special, aluminum squat handles.

Just so no one thinks I'm dissing on Doug, I have known him for over 20 years. I tease Doug a lot (and he teases me right back). He is the best lifting partner ever. We are pretty much the definition of special snowflakes--just ask Matt or Scott.

I don't know about "Liquid Grip", but I once bought some sort of liquid chalk because it was the only thing available at the sporting goods store. When I opened it up, I was punched in the face by ALL THE PERFUME. It was like all of the shitty scented deodorants and fabric softeners in the world had been squeezed into that one little bottle. What the actual fuck? I have no idea how well it worked, because I wanted to get it off of me before it triggered migraines in everyone around me.

Seriously, perfumed "chalk". It pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with the world today.

Not my own idea (I think I read it on this site) but I took a bunch of the chalk powder from my chalk container and put it into an empty squeeze bottle. Added some 91% isopropyl alcohol and shook it up. Works great. The alcohol dries in a few moments leaving a nice coating of chalk on my hands. No perfume either.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    I use special "squat handles" that I have made ... The handles are aluminum and putting chalk directly on them really helps get rid of the Doug on the handles.
    Ah, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by elderwanda View Post
    Seriously, perfumed "chalk". It pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with the world today.
    You're not a fan? Rogue Fitness Announces Pumpkin Spice Hand Chalk

They do have a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by elderwanda View Post
    I don't know about "Liquid Grip", but I once bought some sort of liquid chalk because it was the only thing available at the sporting goods store. When I opened it up, I was punched in the face by ALL THE PERFUME. It was like all of the shitty scented deodorants and fabric softeners in the world had been squeezed into that one little bottle. What the actual fuck? I have no idea how well it worked, because I wanted to get it off of me before it triggered migraines in everyone around me.

I want a liquid chalk that has ammonia in it. Two functions, one bottle.

Rabbi...

I see what you did here ;-)

Customer Review

starting strength coach development program
    Rabbi, nobody appreciates the shameless hawking of your bullshit diet book. My advice is to stop throwing it in with every post you make elsewhere, just like I told you to stop here. Free advice. Pay attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12