starting strength gym

Thread: Combine Patellar tendon, ACL and meniscus rupture injury

Default Combine Patellar tendon, ACL and meniscus rupture injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello ,

I want to share my case with you and hope for some advice for recovery.
    A little of background, I´m a 38 years old male. I´ve been playing recreational sport most of my life going from soccer (very popular here in South America), tennis, basketball and so on. I got into endurance running activities in my early 30´s, then joined Crossfit movement for a couple of years. Finally I ran into Starting Strength information, videos and books (SS BBT3, Practical Programming) and stick to it. I´ve been running the NLP for the last nine months, which have made my numbers of the basics lift gone up. I´ve enjoyed the NLP, I´ve gain weight and muscle mass and felt stronger overall.

I recently joined a recreational soccer tournament with my old high school buddies. In the last game I had a combined injury of patellar tendon rupture, ACL rupture, internal meniscus rupture and medial collateral ligament partial rupture in my left knee.

I got the injury when I abruptly decelerate from a sprint to change direction. My left foot got “sucked” in the field (natural grass) and I felt the “pop” in my left knee followed by an excruciating pain.

I went to a traumatologist (ortopedian) surgeon who suggest having two different surgeries done. The first one to repair the patellar tendon, and the second one to repair the ACL plus meniscus. This in order to reduce the possibility of arthrofibrosis in the knee.

I´ve had the patellar tendon surgery done on November 17th 2017 (four days ago). Now I think about rehabilitation. I´ve seen very good information in this forum regarding successful cases for patellar tendon rupture but haven´t find anything for a combined injury such as mine. I wonder if I should start doing rehab with basic barbell movements (BS, DL, etc.) right after this first surgery or if should I wait for my second surgery to take place. In any case I kindly ask you, based on your knowledge and experience what kind of exercises should I do in every phase of my recovery.

With best regards,
    Juan Palacios

When is the second surgery?

Hello coach Rip,
    I missed that important point in my initial post. According to the ortopedian surgeon, we´ll wait 12 weeks for the second surgery to be done.
    With best regards,

Juan

Since the ACL is not loaded in a correctly performed squat, I'd certainly start the rehab before the ACL repair.

Hello, I have recently have the staples taken out by the doctor.
    I´ve bee recommended to slowly start partial weight bearing with crutches and start doing heel slides in order to start regaining range of motion.
    I´ve been told by the doctor that PT work will start on week 6 (three weeks from today). I would guess trying to start squatong should also start on week 6. Am I right or should I start earlier?

starting strength coach development program
    Under the circumstances, sounds like you'd better do what the doctor says.