starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I have failed as a father.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Post a picture of him squatting unloaded in the bottom of the squat, like the book says.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    I don't think there is any form to check.. he can't seem to fucking do it... he can barely get his body in the right position to high bar squat.
    Post a video of him trying to get into the position. He's 15. He's more pliable than a flippin' Twizzlers.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Post a picture of him squatting unloaded in the bottom of the squat, like the book says.

Sorry again poor coaching, I must have glossed over that part. I can post a pic of a BW squat later today when he gets home from school. I'm not too broke to own the book LOL.. I do have it.

I think part of the problem is his right shoulder is elevated, due to carrying a backpack around all day on that side. He rolled his shoulders out last night with a field hockey ball (only small ball I had lying around) and his shoulders looked like they evened out.. I told him to alternate sides with his backpack. Just standing there the shoulder was obviously elevated though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Post a video of him trying to get into the position. He's 15. He's more pliable than a flippin' Twizzlers.
    YouTube

We need to see what he looks like in Step 1 of the teaching progression, without the bar, in the bottom position. Like in the book.

This is beginning to look like a coaching problem -- not a kid problem -- to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We need to see what he looks like in Step 1 of the teaching progression, without the bar, in the bottom position. Like in the book.

This is beginning to look like a coaching problem -- not a kid problem -- to me.

Will do..after school.

Do you need a video of assuming the position, or is a pic sufficient.. I can do either?

Video is better.

This is definitely a coaching problem.

Try very hard to not get frustrated with your son. It's going to make the whole experience crappy for both of you.
    Remember that it is incumbent upon you, as the coach, to figure out the right thing to say to get his body to do the right thing.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This is definitely a coaching problem.

Try very hard to not get frustrated with your son. It's going to make the whole experience crappy for both of you.
    Remember that it is incumbent upon you, as the coach, to figure out the right thing to say to get his body to do the right thing.

I've been following this story elsewhere for a while now. Perhaps this isn't a coaching problem but a 15 year old kid who just wants to be a 15 year old kid without the pressures of falling short of his father's projected ambitions.

Good point. You're not a Theatre Mom, are you, Billy?

starting strength coach development program
    Based on the video, your son is patient, I'll give him that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast