starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for presentation to 40+ yo women on running and strength training

Default Suggestions for presentation to 40+ yo women on running and strength training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today I was chatting with someone who works for a major orthopedic hospital. The doctors she works with noticed a large number of stress fractures and many cases of osteopenia in women runners who are over 40. They believe that running helps cause these issues and strength training could slow the problem. She plans to do presentations to this demographic, recommending strength training in addition to cardio.

I suggested looking at The Barbell Prescription and browsing this site, but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions for material for these presentations.

There's a better reference than The Barbell Prescription? What might it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There's a better reference than The Barbell Prescription? What might it be?
    You could just mail them Dr. Sullivan?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You could just mail them Dr. Sullivan?
    Better be overnight. He seems like a guy that would get really grumpy being in a box without coffee for 5 days.

I've given several presentations here locally to runners clubs. You have to understand that when you are dealing with people who are really into running
    you are dealing with a mentally ill population. I'm actually not exaggerating.

You can help them but you have to temper your expectations. Your ideas will penetrate to a handful but not most. Don't frame things as "don't run anymore" - because you will lose them. It has to be framed as "strength training can help you run better by decreasing injuries."

But unfortunately, this type of approach is limited in it's effectiveness with this particular population.

Same thing with Cyclists. They are just not prepared to think about doing things off the bicycle. Nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I've given several presentations here locally to runners clubs. You have to understand that when you are dealing with people who are really into running

You can help them but you have to temper your expectations. Your ideas will penetrate to a handful but not most. Don't frame things as "don't run anymore" - because you will lose them. It has to be framed as "strength training can help you run better by decreasing injuries."

But unfortunately, this type of approach is limited in it's effectiveness with this particular population.
    This is so true. My older sister is really into running. It has really taken a toll on her body, and dealing with overuse injuries such as stress fractures and shinsplints has become a way of life for her. She's smarter than me, has read SS and PP, she does do strength training (she did a weighted chin with 55lbs recently), and she knows what running does to her body. But she cannot be convinced to eat enough or quit LSD cardio. During the months when she's completely unable to run due to overuse injuries, she does a bunch of cycling.

It's an addiction. I could probably talk her into changing religions more easily than I could talk her into proper nutrition and training.

A few years back I ran a morning Boot Camp workout for women at the Millington YMCA, just North of Memphis. All the ladies were over 40 and willing to show up at 0530 on Mon, Wed, Fri. At the beginning I told them this would not be a cardio intensive workout. Some mornings I would have them do a fartlek which amounted to the dozen or so ladies in a single file, walking briskly, while the person in the back sprinted to the front. We did body weight exercises with dumbbell and light barbell exercises as a group. None of the ladies in the group were asking for more cardio, but most of them gradually moved up to heavier weights with the barbells and dumbbells. Our YMCA was closed after major flooding in Millington, and I took a job overseas. Those ladies were prime candidates for moving into strength training. I don’t think I would have needed anything more than the promise of them getting stronger and avoiding osteoporosis to get that group under the bar.

That sounds like the best approach.

Do you have any materials or outlines for presentations you've given?

Apparently objections include that they'd start looking manly. The notion that a 45 year old woman is going to grow massive muscles overnight seems absurd, but that doesn't seem to stop the thought.

BTW, I'm not the presenter. The presenter would be a representative of a prominent orthopedic hospital, which might help lend some credence to her presentation.

starting strength coach development program
    It is an odd phenomenon that a large majority of people who indulge in physical activities do not see strength training (or being strong) as an aid to everything physical. To some it seems to be a black sheep. If you are wanting to get better at something, why wouldn't you utilize every tool at your disposal?
    Wouldn't, say, a runner not wanting to get stronger be no different than a mixed martial artist who prefers striking to not train grappling? They don't have to become a "grappler" or excel at it, they can still spend most of their training time striking but by doing so they will become more rounded.
    Now, this do not work in reverse for me, I will not run, ever. I consider anything over 5 reps as cardio.

You have to understand that when you are dealing with people who are really into running
    That's awesome, I'm stealing that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Apparently objections include that they'd start looking manly. The notion that a 45 year old woman is going to grow massive muscles overnight seems absurd, but that doesn't seem to stop the thought.
    Just remind them there are millions of males trying all kinds of routines, exercises, supplements and diets to get muscled-up. It doesn't happen by accident, they'll really have to put some major focus, time and effort into get "manly". They'll be fine lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast