starting strength gym

Thread: Challenge with eccentric part of squat

Default Challenge with eccentric part of squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach Rip,

I'm finding the eccentric part of the squat sometimes more challenging than the eccentric. Yesterday, for example, I did 5 x 5's of 335 lbs on the squat (Intermediate program): coming back up isn't the problem, nor is getting to the bottom of the hole. It's that middle 1/3 part of the eccentric that I'm finding most challenging as I get heavier and heavier. Do you have any suggestions? In my own limited experience, I find that lifts are won or lost by the way in which I descend: if I'm tentative, it's over; calm and focused, I hit the lifts often with ease.

BTW, I've got that Brent Carter Texas chili going right now -- great recipe.
    Thank you,

Video. Not the chili.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    Hi Coach Rip,

I'm finding the eccentric part of the squat sometimes more challenging than the eccentric. Yesterday, for example, I did 5 x 5's of 335 lbs on the squat (Intermediate program): coming back up isn't the problem, nor is getting to the bottom of the hole. It's that middle 1/3 part of the eccentric that I'm finding most challenging as I get heavier and heavier. Do you have any suggestions? In my own limited experience, I find that lifts are won or lost by the way in which I descend: if I'm tentative, it's over; calm and focused, I hit the lifts often with ease.

BTW, I've got that Brent Carter Texas chili going right now -- great recipe.
    Thank you,
    Ultimately video is necessary but I'd be willing to bet that as the weight gets heavier your back angle likely becomes more vertical. Let's get a look at the video though.