starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merit of SS Power rack design, the Channel section etc.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bachmann View Post
    Why not just take the C-channel disign, ditch the rails and floor portion on the bottom end, and use some L50x100x5mm profiles to join the c-profiles at the top, if you don't wan't to weld. I'd punch the 35mm holes into the uprights. The pull-up bar at the top would receive a piece of 50x80x5 Flat steel (with two 12mm holes for 2 M10 screws) welded at each end, to simply connect the two c profiles at the top. Optional, you could use L-steel to join some profile at the bottom, or directly bolt onto the floor.
    This is the way Johnny Brown builds them now.

I do like the closer hole spacing. In my small home gym, I have rogue racks. They don't see use by the general public and we take good care of our gear, so their stuff suits us fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Please share the design if you could.

My post included links to Flikr images, but I either failed miserably, or Rip deleted them, which I have no problem with as I've improved the drawings since.

Feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    The one thing I can't do in an RM-3 is pin presses, because I'm too tall.
    I'm guessing you either have the R-3 or are extremely tall, since the RM-3 comes in 90", 100", and 108" heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    The rod and pipe safeties are not available for the 3x3 monster rack. I looked recently. Only the giant safeties and the nylon. A problem with the rogue rack is that you can't get safeties low enough for rack pulls.

Have you looked today? The pin pipe safeties have always been available. Not that they're any good. a solid 1.25" pin is much nicer in my opinion.
    From the way they look you can get a pin starting about 9"-10" off the floor which seems fine for rack pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by throwinshapes View Post
    A bit off topic, but the straps will dip right down to the cross member height for rack pulls. I actually practiced really light power cleans like this w/o bumpers to get the bar to the right starting height.
    I haven't used the nylon strap safeties, but it seems to me that if you miss a lift off center, such as a rack pull, you really don't want to have that much weight careening into you shins. Maybe I'm wrong about them, but they never seemed like a good idea.

Cutting 30min, marking and punching 2hrs, Drilling and welding 20min. No CnC milling or lathing or any of that stuff.
    Thanks for the time estimate. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    My post included links to Flikr images, but I either failed miserably, or Rip deleted them, which I have no problem with as I've improved the drawings since.

Feel free to PM me.
    Your inbox is full

I haven't used the nylon strap safeties, but it seems to me that if you miss a lift off center, such as a rack pull, you really don't want to have that much weight careening into you shins. Maybe I'm wrong about them, but they never seemed like a good idea.
    I can't understand the appeal of the nylon safeties myself. Every other "elite" lifter seems to use them. I guess it limits the impact damage to the bar.
    But imagine a novice failing a rep. If he backed too many steps after un-racking, the bar would roll back on to him (more likely on to his neck) after he dumps it!

Have you looked today? The pin pipe safeties have always been available. Not that they're any good. a solid 1.25" pin is much nicer in my opinion.
    From the way they look you can get a pin starting about 9"-10" off the floor which seems fine for rack pulls.
    Pin and pipe is only available for monster lite, not monster. I think the difference is the 5/8 vs 1" hardware. So, I suppose it would work, but the pin would not fit snug.

I'm guessing you either have the R-3 or are extremely tall, since the RM-3 comes in 90", 100", and 108" heights.
    You sir, are correct. I have an R-3, not an RM-3. My apologies in posting incorrect information (and yes, I am fairly tall).

No CnC milling or lathing or any of that stuff. This isn't rocket science.
    "Lathing"
    Oh man. That really triggered me.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Your inbox is full
    Emptied.

starting strength coach development program
    Pin and pipe is only available for monster lite, not monster.

Not interested in going back and forth, but that is incorrect. I checked just now.
    On the RM-3 or RM-4 choose option 4: Safeties, and from the drop down menu you can select Monster Pin/Pipe Safety System, or Strap Safety Set, (or Monster Flip-Down Safeties only in the case of the RM-4).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast