Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechanics for strong squat opposed strong deadlift

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    I'd like to stay in a competitive weight range for my height and bone density which is 74-84... at 100 kg I'm with the super heavyweights and there is no way I belong there...
    Are you trying to become a serious powerlifting competitor? Because if not, weight classes are meaningless and you shouldn't use that as your gauge...all it's going to do is give you false standards that may not apply to your particular physiology. (Not everyone can pull 600 at 185 lbs, ya know?)

I have a very dense skeleton and hide weight well. I outweigh both Austin and Jordan by about 20 lbs, yet don't even look like I lift. (Which, compared to their lifts, I really don't...) I'm also 5'11". As a result, I've come to terms with the fact that I will never be "competitive" in terms of setting records at pretty much any bodyweight, because the weights I put up will always be mediocre relative to any feasible bodyweight.

Does my 470 squat become less legitimate because I did it at 220 lbs instead of 185 lbs? I don't think so--a 470 squat isn't competitive in either weight class, so what's the purpose of trying to keep my bodyweight artificially low? Why shouldn't I just work on increasing my meager lifts and have fun doing it?

Just my two cents. I think this whole "relative strength" thing is somewhat silly unless you're seriously competing. More often than not, it's an excuse for an unwillingness to gain necessary weight to continue progress, IMHO.
    Last edited by Brodie Butland; 12-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Cycling.
    Ah.

Yet another discussion that could of gone somewhere before two wheels (not powered by an engine) ran it into a brick wall.

Squats are hard.. do them.. add weight to bar incrementally like everything else. Eat enough food to support this process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you measure your "bone density"? And in what sport is 100kg defined as "superheavyweight"??????

Thanks all for taking the time to write the considerate responses.

I'll try and address most points as best as I can and I'll take on the opinions of those greater than mine.

1.) I haven't taken my bone density measurements with anything scientific, but made the conclusion via observation. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

2.) 100 kg is super heavy weight in a lot of sports. It is clear that any sport that favours a higher power to weight ratio favours a lower BF%. Such sports include rowing, boxing and powerlifting.
    It's very rare to see any competitive athlete in these Power/Weight sports over 10% BF. So we can say that 10% BF is a good body fat for the sports listed to be maximise your advantage.

Someone at a proposed 98 kg and in the competitive BF% of 10%, ages 25 and 5'11, white, would put them in a FFMI of 26-27 (still attainable naturally(for the .01%)).

Well, well... You're right (of course). I should be A LOT heavier... but I'm not the .01%.

This discussion should probably end here.

So how many years should I take to add this weight realistically?

You went from 225 down to 185 and you’re wondering why you aren’t making progress with your squat? Dude you lost 40 pounds. What did you think was going to happen?

You answered your own question when you said you made the most gains in the first 6 months and got your weight up. If you think some fancy programming change is the answer, you’ve forgotten all the lessons SS was supposed to teach you. You need to eat like you’re serious about lifting. That’s how your squat will go up. What good is programming when you aren’t even giving your body the fuel to help it maximize the work you’re putting in.

1.) I haven't taken my bone density measurements with anything scientific, but made the conclusion via observation. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.
    What precisely does bone density mean, in what units is it measured, and what is your best guess at your bone density? It will be wrong.

2.) 100 kg is super heavy weight in a lot of sports. It is clear that any sport that favours a higher power to weight ratio favours a lower BF%. Such sports include rowing, boxing and powerlifting.
    It's very rare to see any competitive athlete in these Power/Weight sports over 10% BF. So we can say that 10% BF is a good body fat for the sports listed to be maximise your advantage.
    There are 5 sentences in this Bible verse. All of them, like many articles of faith, are incorrect.

Someone at a proposed 98 kg and in the competitive BF% of 10%, ages 25 and 5'11, white, would put them in a FFMI of 26-27 (still attainable naturally(for the .01%)).
    This is fascinating.

Well, well... You're right (of course). I should be A LOT heavier... but I'm not the .01%.
    Are you suggesting that anyone heavier than you is in the top 0.01%?

Yes.

Thanks all for taking the time to write the considerate responses.

I'll try and address most points as best as I can and I'll take on the opinions of those greater than mine.

So how many years should I take to add this weight realistically?
    Do you, or, have you ever competed at the elite level in a sport that requires a high power to weight ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Do you, or, have you ever competed at the elite level in a sport that requires a high power to weight ratio?
    That’s what I’m wondering too. Unless you’ve got a 39 inch vert, you will never, ever be as powerful as you can be if you gain weight. I’d rather have a 500lb squat at 230 than a 300 lb squat at 185. It’s easy to see why.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What precisely does bone density mean, in what units is it measured, and what is your best guess at your bone density? It will be wrong.

bone density is the weight of your bones relative to length/height. it's probably only a difference of 1-3 kg per person... enough to notice over a life time.

There are 5 sentences in this Bible verse. All of them, like many articles of faith, are incorrect.

Name one record setting athlete Strength athlete out side of open weight class, that is over 10% bf.

I said anyone with a ffmi of 27 is .01%.

Yes.

bone density is the weight of your bones relative to length/height. it's probably only a difference of 1-3 kg per person... enough to notice over a life time.

Name one record setting athlete Strength athlete (out side of open weight classes) that is over 10% bf. and I'll happily with draw my comments.

I said anyone with a ffmi of 27 is .01%

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast