starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics for strong squat opposed strong deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsongee View Post
    In regards to my competitive potential, I was going to aim for a 300kg deadlift record in the 74 kg weight class for Powerlifting Australia... I haven't had too much of a problem holding on to my strength gains whilst dropping fat so I figured I could cut to make weight... This is hypothetical but the potential is there, especially over the long term.

Having said this, I still believe that to be competitive in the 94 KG weight class I would have to be a LEAN 94 kg. This means that I'm looking at adding 10-12 kg of muscle mass.

It seems like an almost impossible feat for me, considering I've only gained 7-10 kg of muscle over 5.5 years and I've made the majority of strength gains I could hope for and the fact that its nearly a 27 FFMI which is insane.

The reason I want to get my squat up is also so I can improve my deadlift numbers.

My lifting stats at 180 lbs 15% bf is 210 lbs OHP, 300 lbs bench, 550 lbs dead and 385lbs squat.
    I think you need to get over this bodybuilder or most optimum mentality honestly. You're currently screwing your body over by not letting it go to it's full potential with staying underweight, I don't mean become obese either.
    But since you seem dead set on it and you're already 26 years old so you can make your own decisions. You need to look over your log books and check to see what you respond to best. If you don't have one or have no idea what you're doing it might be worthwhile to read Practical Programming 3ed and Scientific Principles of Strength training by CWS, both have been quite helpful in making my own programming or at least knowing how to adjust a specific program to my needs.

Rip, would table with height/min-max weight be as useless as strength numbers in the context of ending LP?

For example:
    6ft 215 - 235
    6ft 1" 220 - 240

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Rip, would table with height/min-max weight be as useless as strength numbers in the context of ending LP?
    Of course. Have you read PPST3? Do you understand the concept of "novice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course. Have you read PPST3? Do you understand the concept of "novice"?
    Did not read it fully but am aware of the concept. Maybe you'd get rid of the progress questions from underweight individuals.

Your posts indicate otherwise. I don't think you are aware of the fact that "novice" status is defined by your ability to recover and adapt between workouts, and has nothing to do with bodyweight or strength level whatsoever. Read the book.

It takes a shift in thinking to get used to the usage of the terms but there is no confusion if you read the book. Essentially you have to dump the idea that "novice" means shit and "advanced" means I'm really good.
    It's more of what your body's capabilities are (recovery) versus how good you think you are physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think you are aware of the fact that "novice" status is defined by your ability to recover and adapt between workouts, and has nothing to do with bodyweight or strength level whatsoever.
    Sure am. You use the term underweight quite a bit so I thought it might be useful to know what are your recommendations on weight given the height for a someone just entering the intermediate phase.

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Sure am. You use the term underweight quite a bit so I thought it might be useful to know what are your recommendations on weight given the height for a someone just entering the intermediate phase.
    I think his point is that it’s impossible to make a table like that and if you take the information from the book you can kinda see why. 20% bf is the standard. 20% might be 230 for one guy and 200 for another at 6’. For me personally it was about 210. Rip can correct me if I’m wrong, but most guys that height will be over 200 lbs if they did it right.

In regards to my competitive potential, I was going to aim for a 300kg deadlift record in the 74 kg weight class for Powerlifting Australia... I haven't had too much of a problem holding on to my strength gains whilst dropping fat so I figured I could cut to make weight... This is hypothetical but the potential is there, especially over the long term.
    Do some powerlifting meets and actually get some experience under your belt. You're nearly 6' tall. You have absolutely no business being in the 74kg class. That's DYEL levels of skinny. Do some meets and you'll see.

I went to USAPL nationals in 2014 at 6'1" 205lbs. I figured that wasn't too skinny, right? It's still 200+. Well, I was by far the skinniest person in the room, embarrassingly so. I was a full head taller than most people. Okay, next try: 2016 nationals at 231lbs. Again, was the skinniest person in the room. I got crushed. Most people in the 231 class are around 5'8". 5'10" is probably the tallest you'll see.

6' 230lbs is pretty solid for an average lifter. But to actually be competitive in powerlifting at that height you're looking at least at the 264/275lbs classes. Don't believe me? Do some meets and you'll see. Or try to be in the 163lbs class and get crushed by guys who are like 5'4". Heck, here's the current IPF raw (and former equipped) world champion in the 74kg class, Kjell Egil Bakkelund, who's 5'0": YouTube. He deadlifts 325kg+. Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Do you, or, have you ever competed at the elite level in a sport that requires a high power to weight ratio?
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    That’s what I’m wondering too. Unless you’ve got a 39 inch vert, you will never, ever be as powerful as you can be if you gain weight. I’d rather have a 500lb squat at 230 than a 300 lb squat at 185. It’s easy to see why.
    Um, tfrance? Well... yeah, duh. The ratio is way better at 230 (2.17xBW) than at 185 (1.62xBW). The question was about high power to weight ratio, and you've posited a situation where you've increased both your absolute strength and your relative strength. I would've expected a scenario where you would prefer a higher absolute strength even at the expense of lower relative strength, if you're trying to make the point I think you are. Am I missing something?

Name one record setting athlete Strength athlete (out side of open weight classes) that is over 10% bf. and I'll happily with draw my comments.
    There were a few named already. Were you specifically looking for someone in your current weight range? Because if so, I'd rather look at the height/weight ratio, and ask you to name one record setting Strength athlete in your desired weight class who's anywhere near your height. I won't offer to withdraw my comments though, since there might well be a freak or two I don't know about. I don't follow the lower weight classes all that much, after all.

In regards to my competitive potential, I was going to aim for a 300kg deadlift record in the 74 kg weight class for Powerlifting Australia.
    Having said this, I still believe that to be competitive in the 94 KG weight class I would have to be a LEAN 94 kg. This means that I'm looking at adding 10-12 kg of muscle mass.
    My lifting stats at 180 lbs 15% bf is 210 lbs OHP, 300 lbs bench, 550 lbs dead and 385lbs squat.
    Okay, now I definitely think I'm missing something. You don't think you can add enough muscle mass to be competitive in a higher weight class, but you do think you can increase your deadlift 110 lbs while cutting 17 lbs of bodyweight. Am I understanding this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Okay, next try: 2016 nationals at 231lbs. Again, was the skinniest person in the room. I got crushed. Most people in the 231 class are around 5'8". 5'10" is probably the tallest you'll see.
    Should've been there the previous year. I was there at 6'4". At the time, I had pretty much the same idea as Carlson, which ended up being awful for my training progression.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast