starting strength gym

Thread: shoulder joint and dead-lifts

Default shoulder joint and dead-lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    Some years back I dislocated my right shoulder playing football. I have some discomfort at times but no real pain though it doesn't seem to sit quite in the same place as my left (noticeable when doing a bench press) and there is a big difference in the range of motion. Either way, the doctor told me it would probably continue to pop out of socket but I have been lifting and doing pull-ups ever since and it never has. When I deadlift though, I do notice my traps tend to look very asymmetrical prior to the pull (I assume due to the difference in my shoulders) and I have to do a lot of adjustments so the lift looks balanced. As my lifts have gone up in weight I have become more conscious of my shoulder joint and hoping it doesn't pop out of socket again. My question is whether this is even likely as I don't seem to hear much about it but if so, what should I emphasize as I lift in order to keep my shoulder stable?
    Thanks,
    Rey

Unless you somehow manage to deadlift with relaxed shoulders, I doubt it will be a problem. I've never heard of a should pulled into complete luxation by a deadlift of any weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ReyB View Post
    Hi,
    Some years back I dislocated my right shoulder playing football. I have some discomfort at times but no real pain though it doesn't seem to sit quite in the same place as my left (noticeable when doing a bench press) and there is a big difference in the range of motion. Either way, the doctor told me it would probably continue to pop out of socket but I have been lifting and doing pull-ups ever since and it never has. When I deadlift though, I do notice my traps tend to look very asymmetrical prior to the pull (I assume due to the difference in my shoulders) and I have to do a lot of adjustments so the lift looks balanced. As my lifts have gone up in weight I have become more conscious of my shoulder joint and hoping it doesn't pop out of socket again. My question is whether this is even likely as I don't seem to hear much about it but if so, what should I emphasize as I lift in order to keep my shoulder stable?
    Thanks,
    Rey
    Thought this might be helpful to you...

Deadlift and Shoulder Stability - Chicago S&C

I suffered a shoulder impingement last fall. I don't know how to explain it, but deadlifting helped it feel better. I think I went in and did something light for a few sets of five then called it a day. For whatever reason, the weight stretching my shoulder out really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by ReyB View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Rey
    I have dealt with bilateral shoulder dislocations my whole life. My right shoulder was so bad I through a snowball and it popped out. I was down and out limited to only a few things until I discovered SS and specifically started deadlifting. The key is to symmetrically lift the weight off the ground and try not to guard with the injured shoulder. The asymmetrical symmetry of the trap maybe a result of guarding that shoulder,idk but I have seen it. Nonetheless, I am careful with my shoulders not to put then in positions where it is vulnerable throughout the day. (I.e extreme external rotation with flexion and abduction) what a baseball pitcher looks like before the ball leaves the hand. Started SS with good form I can say my shoulder feels the strongest it has ever been. I have gone a year with no dislocations and 2 years with only two dislocations which is much better than before (6-8 a year).This is all after PT (joke) and two surgeries that resulted in less than ideal outcomes. You may have some damage from the repetitive dislocation, ( I have a small labral tear). Deadlifting and pressing correctly is key to strong shoulders. Back squats are the worse due to the position so I front squat and safety bar squat. It takes time though esp with shoulders. Hope this helps!