starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groin tear

Default Groin tear

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

It's your favorite old lifter from Austin. I recently tore my groin muscle and probably surrounding muscle pretty badly a few months ago using just 275 on the squat. I had widened my stance a little to take some of the pressure off of my tender right knee, so this probably added to the cause of the injury. I had squatted over 300 recently for 5 reps so I felt totally comfortable with this weight. It was so painful that I started sweating profusely within seconds and I think I blacked out for a few seconds after I racked the weight and sat down. I went to the doctor because I could barely walk, but all they did was give me pain pills so I could sleep. I know what you would have suggested then, but no, I didn't do the rehab protocol that you recommend to prevent scarring. I turned black and blue and had to take time off of work, so I just iced it and tried to recover. At that time I was pissed and considered never squatting again after the back surgery and now groin tear. I've gotten over that and I want to squat again, but when I work up to 185, I can feel it a little in the area I tore and it scares me so I haven't gone above that. Is there a way to squat heavy without tearing it again, or did I screw up badly by not doing the protocol?

Oh, it sucks getting old!

P.S. I would have called you but this may help someone else with the same issue, so I decided to post it here.

Bonehead Randy. Now you've got a nice fat scar in your adductor. It will tear again against the scar margin. The only thing you can do is squat with a narrow stance with not much toe angle and stay out of your adductor. Bonehead.

Quote Originally Posted by RMitch View Post
    Hey Rip,

It's your favorite old lifter from Austin. I recently tore my groin muscle and probably surrounding muscle pretty badly a few months ago using just 275 on the squat. I had widened my stance a little to take some of the pressure off of my tender right knee, so this probably added to the cause of the injury. I had squatted over 300 recently for 5 reps so I felt totally comfortable with this weight. It was so painful that I started sweating profusely within seconds and I think I blacked out for a few seconds after I racked the weight and sat down. I went to the doctor because I could barely walk, but all they did was give me pain pills so I could sleep. I know what you would have suggested then, but no, I didn't do the rehab protocol that you recommend to prevent scarring. I turned black and blue and had to take time off of work, so I just iced it and tried to recover. At that time I was pissed and considered never squatting again after the back surgery and now groin tear. I've gotten over that and I want to squat again, but when I work up to 185, I can feel it a little in the area I tore and it scares me so I haven't gone above that. Is there a way to squat heavy without tearing it again, or did I screw up badly by not doing the protocol?

Oh, it sucks getting old!

P.S. I would have called you but this may help someone else with the same issue, so I decided to post it here.
    This will serve well to function as a painful lesson learned for the entire community on the negative side of the Stress-Recovery-Adaptation model. It wasn't necessary, because we already know the right answer, but when someone makes the decision to go against their better judgment for the sake of "letting something heal", it tends to end up this way. Get you a tight compression sleeve for your thigh.

Yes, I'm a bonehead. I'll try the compression sleeve, thanks.

I'm not sure if it's my age or incorrect form but I also tore my left pec tendon connection 6 or so years ago. I had surgery for that one.

Hope you are doing well Rip. I had my rookie firefighter buy your book a couple of weeks ago and he just started the program. He seems to really like it so far and he's only 27 so he should make good progress.

How does one know if the Starr protocol was completely successful? I tore an adductor a year ago (didn't see a doctor, but pretty much my whole leg turned purple eventually, so I'm pretty sure it was a muscle belly tear), went through the protocol after waiting a couple of days, then slowly worked my way back up to my previous lift numbers. However, there is still some occasional soreness and/or tightness in the injured area. Does this mean I'm at an elevated risk of re-injury or is that normal? I would dearly love to get to a 405 squat (was doing 365 when I injured myself) but I'd rather not go through the protocol again. Last week I had a session with SSC Robert Santana and he suggested a squat deload to work on some form issues and I'll check back with him in a month or so.
    Thanks.
    -RJP

The rehab worked if you did it on time, and if you got back to your original numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    How does one know if the Starr protocol was completely successful? I tore an adductor a year ago (didn't see a doctor, but pretty much my whole leg turned purple eventually, so I'm pretty sure it was a muscle belly tear), went through the protocol after waiting a couple of days, then slowly worked my way back up to my previous lift numbers. However, there is still some occasional soreness and/or tightness in the injured area. Does this mean I'm at an elevated risk of re-injury or is that normal? I would dearly love to get to a 405 squat (was doing 365 when I injured myself) but I'd rather not go through the protocol again. Last week I had a session with SSC Robert Santana and he suggested a squat deload to work on some form issues and I'll check back with him in a month or so.
    Thanks.
    -RJP
    The #1 predictor of future injury is history of previous injury.

I'm imagine a light pair of squat briefs might help. Not talking crazy tight equipped powerlifting style, but something to give some light support at the bottom where the hips and groin are stretched the most. From my personal experience with a bum hip (probably tore a labrum nearly a decade ago) a snug-fitting but not crazy tight pair of single ply squat briefs can take me from a ton of pain in my hip with 135lbs to zero pain with 5, 600+. The compression and support at the end of the ROM works pretty well for me, but of course YMMV.

It’s not painful when I squat, just that slight feeling where I tore it that scares me to death. I fear tearing it again, not just because of the pain but because I have the kind of job where if I’m injured, I can’t come to work.

I’m going to buy some compression shorts and try squatting like Rip described above. We’ll see I guess.

Yes, I know that I could have prevented it by doing the protocol. But, here I am, so I have to deal with it.

starting strength coach development program
    My question, not having torn anything as yet, is how did it happen in the first place, and how to avoid it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast