starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip: Podcast #59: Doctors, et al

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I spend an hour with each of my patients nearly every time and it's pretty nice feeling like there's a good exchange of information and shared plan
    An hour! Holy shit. In what setting is that even possible?

.If we are talking about exercise as professionals, we need to be well versed on the topic and have adequate time to counsel appropriately or refer appropriately (not to PT). That said, I don't think there are many in the medical field who share this view point given the current climate.
    Personally, I don't think it's possible for me to appropriately refer people for rehab. It's a huge problem that I can't fix. It might be possible for me to adequately refer them, so that they get some modicum of improvement in their problem, but even that is a leap of faith that's probably more closely aligned with jumping into a pit from Prince of Persia (if you remember that game). But that's all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Personally, I don't think it's possible for me to appropriately refer people for rehab.
    If only there were some people within the rehab community that had the appropriate advanced degree, the appropriate licensing, and had a working understanding of things like; stress-recovery-adaptation model, the utility of basic barbell movements for the improvement of strength as the foundation for more specific tasks, etc, etc, etc....but yeah, I guess it isn't possible.

Well, in the Doctor's defense, there are about 5 of you in the entire world.

Once again, thank you for highlighting this issue. The corruption, fraud, and just plain BS in the medical community is overwhelming. The damn politicians know it’s going on too, but they are too scared to do anything about it. Both parties won’t touch care or aid and it’s why the docs and therapist commit so much poor work and get paid so much to do so. That being said, dentistry and optometry seem to making fairly good advances.

Jordan Peterson is awesome and a great recommendation for youtube videos on the human experience

One book you recommended that I really enjoyed was Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher. I swear I added 10 pounds to my lifts after reading that book, makes one reconsider what they regard as difficult.

And the movie made from that excellent novel was Jeremiah Johnson. Missed the entire point, as is usual for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And the movie made from that excellent novel was Jeremiah Johnson. Missed the entire point, as is usual for such things.

I was afraid that it would. Mountain Man started me a on frontier/western novel fix. I just finished The Big Sky, by A.B. Guthrie, JR., There is a lot we can learn form these books.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    Once again, thank you for highlighting this issue. The corruption, fraud, and just plain BS in the medical community is overwhelming. The damn politicians know it’s going on too, but they are too scared to do anything about it. Both parties won’t touch care or aid and it’s why the docs and therapist commit so much poor work and get paid so much to do so. That being said, dentistry and optometry seem to making fairly good advances.
    I would argue that the politicians created the current medical system. And the examples you give prove my point. Both dentistry and optometry were largely able to avoid the politician's Faustian bargain. And to this day, no matter how much your rotting teeth are affecting your health (and it can be a huge negative impact) Medicare and Medicaid refuse to pay one penny for dental care out of sheer spite.

And to this day, no matter how much your rotting teeth are affecting your health (and it can be a huge negative impact) Medicare and Medicaid refuse to pay one penny for dental care out of sheer spite.
    Actually, Medicaid pays for dental care, in one form or another, depending on the state.

I would argue that the politicians created the current medical system. And the examples you give prove my point. Both dentistry and optometry were largely able to avoid the politician's Faustian bargain. And to this day, no matter how much your rotting teeth are affecting your health (and it can be a huge negative impact) Medicare and Medicaid refuse to pay one penny for dental care out of sheer spite.
    I would agree

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Actually, Medicaid pays for dental care, in one form or another, depending on the state.
    I've never seen it. I've seen kids with teeth rotting down to nubs that couldn't get any dental. Most of the patients at my hospital have teeth that make you think you walked into a different century. Can't get any dental care. Not even just to pull them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast